Bing Maps not Working

01-15-2014 09:30 AM
KurtRubsam
New Contributor
Noticed yesterday (1/14/14) that Bing Maps no longer shows in ArcMap.  The layer feature has a red x and the error notice just says that the "Layer's data source in inaccessible".  Is anyone else experiencing this problem.  Maybe it's a global issue in ESRI?

Kurt Rubsam
AECOM
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
If you have already purchased a license for bing maps then ignore, but otherwise you will have to. Here is a blog that describes the changes.
0 Kudos
KurtRubsam
New Contributor
I knew about this Bing Map change and possibly having to get a Bing Maps Key in order to add Bing Maps as a base map, however you could still access Bing Maps via the "Add Data from ArcGIS On-line".  Is this option of access to Bing Maps no longer available also?

Kurt
0 Kudos
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III
I knew about this Bing Map change and possibly having to get a Bing Maps Key in order to add Bing Maps as a base map, however you could still access Bing Maps via the "Add Data from ArcGIS On-line".  Is this option of access to Bing Maps no longer available also?

Kurt

not "possibly". You HAVE to get a Bing Key. ESRI is no longer paying Microsoft for ArcMap users to leverage using Bing Maps.
you can access adding the Bing map service (which is just a lyr file stored locally) through the add data from arcgis online, but would have to supply the BING key for you to not get the classic red exclaimation or red 'x'.
if you are running 10.1 you need to install the Patch to allow you to enter in the key, if 10.2, it is already built in as ESRI.

Run down, once you have added your purchased Key from Microsoft, you add BING maps as you always would have, via ArcGIS-Online (add data)
0 Kudos
BobPerham
Occasional Contributor

I've done all of these steps and had Bing maps working with my keys for about 6 month and now all the sudden they aren't working.  The keys are still valid and nothing has changed as far as software.  My co-worker has the exact same set up as me and they work for her.  Can't figure out why it's not working for me... Bing Maps broken source fix

0 Kudos
BobPerham
Occasional Contributor

Well I figured it out.  I was not connected to ArcGIS Online in my system tray.  Kind of disappointed this is a requirement to use them...

0 Kudos