BLOB size limits with Personal ArcSDE(SQL Express geodb

07-13-2010 01:42 AM
MarcoBelotti
New Contributor II
Hi all,
I've a File Personal Gdb with a blob field in a table (table, not featureclass). I need to migrate to personal sde/sql express.

I'm trying to do it exporting the file gdb in xml and importing the xml, but I catch the error:
"import xml failed FDO error: -2147186428 .... Maximum BLOB size exceeded [field name]

I'm using ArcGis 9.3 and SQL Express 2005.

I found, on the ESRI support site, a reference to a configuration file for SDE (unfortunately only enterprise version) where you can increase sizefrom the default (1000000 bytes) to another value, but I haven't found anything for the personal/sql express...

Thanks in advance for any suggestion!
Marco Belotti
CESI spa
Italy
0 Kudos
1 Reply
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
Hi Marco,

There's not a supported way to increase this limit on ArcSDE geodatabases in SQL Server Express.

Will you be moving to ArcGIS 10 any time soon?  New ArcSDE geodatabases created with ArcGIS 10, by default, do not limit the maximum BLOB size. So once you have upgraded to ArcGIS 10, you can create a geodatabase on the database server and you should be able to import the data from your file geodatabase.

(This probably isn't exactly what you were looking for...but it is a possible way around your problem.)

-Kim
0 Kudos