"unable to create BDI (Bathymetry Data Index)" when adding bathymetry data

01-28-2014 03:01 AM
CorneliaSaukel
New Contributor
Hi,
I am new to ArcGIS for Maritime: Bathymetry and was just trying to learn how to work with the extension, but already failed adding bathymetry data to a BIS. The error message I get is the following:

"Unable to generate a new Bathymetry Data Index". Unfortunately, it does not say why.

The .bag files I used were exported from CARIS and/or downloaded from NOAA, which, I believe, were also exported from CARIS.
Does anybody have any advice what I have to change or look for?

Cornelia
0 Kudos
3 Replies
SabeshanSrinivasan
New Contributor
Hello Cornelia,

A failure to add data to the BIS could be due to reasons such as filesystem access rights preventing access to the datasets in question, invalid internal metadata encoding or using a newer version of the BAG standard (such as v1.5.2) with an older version of the Bathymetry solution (such as v10.1). If none of these reasons are applicable to your case or if you cannot troubleshoot further, I would recommend getting in touch with Esri support to log this issue so that we are able to look more into this problem.

Thanks,
Sabeshan Srinivasan
0 Kudos
CorneliaSaukel
New Contributor
Hello Sabeshan,

Thank you for your answer. Right when I was about to contact Esri Support, I realized I probably did not use ArcGIS Editor, but ArcView. Switching to ArcEditor did the trick. This is rather embarrassing. However, the strange thing is, I was able to create a BIS, change metadata settings, create data collections and all in ArcView. Only when I tried to add bathymetric data I received the message posted in the title of this thread, which did not give any hint where to look for the problem. Because everything seemed to work at first, it took a while to realize I was using the wrong ArcGIS Version.
Sorry for any inconvenience I might have caused.

Cornelia
0 Kudos
SabeshanSrinivasan
New Contributor
Hello Cornelia,

No worries - I'm glad that you were able to resolve the issue without needing to contact support. We'll look into the issue with the tools being enabled for the ArcView (Basic) license; they're only supposed to work with Standard or Advanced. Thanks for updating me with your finding!

Cheers,
Sabeshan
0 Kudos