Custom Symbols for AGOL

Jump to solution
02-11-2014 12:03 PM
SteveCline
Occasional Contributor
I would like to make my own custom point symbols for a map hosted in AGOL.  I cannot seem to find any threads that relate specifically to this.  I would be wiling to create the map in desktop and then publish a feature service if that is necessary.  I cannot seem to find any instructions for this.  It does not seem like this should be a difficult task.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Steve,

When you open your map in ArcGIS Online, you can change the symbology there.

You need to upload the Symbol you would like to use to an image sharing site.
Click on the content tab -> click the little triangle next to your layer and choose "Change Symbology"
Then choose options -> Change Symbology. In the pop up you can choose "Add an Image". Just paste in the link which points to your image to get the symbology you would like.

If you need instructions on how to import custom symbology into ArcGIS Desktop let me know, but I am not sure if the symbology stays once you upload it to ArcGIS Online, that's why I would try the Add an Image method.

Tim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Steve,

You will need an organizational account for this.

Open the MXD in which you have prepared your layer with your symbology. Make sure only that layer is in your MXD.

1) Click on File -> Sign In... (Here you sign into your organizational account)
2) Click on File -> Share As -> Service -> Publish a service
3) As connection choose My Hosted Services (My Account) and as service name use what you want the layer to be called.
4) Under the capabilities tab uncheck "Tiled Mapping" and check "Feature Access"
5) Fill out the Item Description tab
6) Under sharing you can check who is able to see it once published
7) Click Publish in the upper right corner and it will soon show up in your "My Content" on ArcGIS Online

I hope this makes sense!

Tim
0 Kudos
SteveCline
Occasional Contributor
Tim -

I understand how to publish a feature service.  That is not my issue. 

I would like to make custom point symbols for this map and this seems to be exceedingly difficult to do.  If it is easier to create the custom symbol in desktop and then publish I will do that.  I would prefer to work on this from AGOL (I do have an institutional account) but there seems to be no way of doing that either.

Thanks for your time.

Steve
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Steve,

When you open your map in ArcGIS Online, you can change the symbology there.

You need to upload the Symbol you would like to use to an image sharing site.
Click on the content tab -> click the little triangle next to your layer and choose "Change Symbology"
Then choose options -> Change Symbology. In the pop up you can choose "Add an Image". Just paste in the link which points to your image to get the symbology you would like.

If you need instructions on how to import custom symbology into ArcGIS Desktop let me know, but I am not sure if the symbology stays once you upload it to ArcGIS Online, that's why I would try the Add an Image method.

Tim
0 Kudos
PaulDoherty
New Contributor III

Hey all - it seems this workflow has changed with then new symbology tools in the web map with the last ArcGIS Online release. Anyone know how to add a custom symbol via image now?

Cassie HansenBernie Szukalski​?

0 Kudos
PaulDoherty
New Contributor III

Old workflow still works - however, CLEAR YOUR COOKIES

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
SteveCline
Occasional Contributor
That is what I was looking for.  I will give that a try today.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Let me know if this works for you and if it does don't forget to mark the answer 🙂
0 Kudos
AijazSyed
New Contributor

Hi Tim,

I am getting an error when I try customize a symbol in AGOL - Image URL does not seem to be valid. Any thoughts?

Aijaz

SteveCline
Occasional Contributor
Worked Great!  Thanks
0 Kudos