2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2014 10:17 AM by dknolan

CADRG or other format for in-vehicle (jeep) display

dknolan
      Does anyone have any tips for creating a map of vector graphics for use in Army vehicle systems?

I take it there is a long list of compatible formats; not sure how to know what would work best.
      None of the formats is directly supported for map export. Do I need to create a  base layer and make it an image/raster, then get it out to JPEG2000 or other supported formats?
        • Re: CADRG or other format for in-vehicle (jeep) display
          bconklin-esristaff
          We recommend using the ArcGIS Runtime to build the applications for in Vehicle Display. For this, the best option is author your basemap in ArcMap and create a tile package. This is an optimized format for high performance display.

To see a sample application for use in a vehicle system please look at this site:

http://solutions.arcgis.com/military/land-operations/operations/
          • Re: CADRG or other format for in-vehicle (jeep) display
            dknolan
            We recommend using the ArcGIS Runtime to build the applications for in Vehicle Display. For this, the best option is author your basemap in ArcMap and create a tile package. This is an optimized format for high performance display.

I don't see any compatible formats under the Tile Packages formats. CADRG, DTED, JPEG2000,CIB, MRSid,VPF, Buckeye would work, though if special software is required (such as for MrSid), I may not be allowed to install it.

As to developing a tool, not in the cards, likely beyond my Secret clearance and way too time consuming. We are not using the Military extension, though I take it that is not necessary.  I am not military and it would be a huge deal to change anything about the software behind the vehicle display systems. We are going to GeoPDFs for situational awareness, which of course won't work in in-vehicle systems but would work on laptops or cell phones.

They just want to view some vectors (unfilled polygons, points, and lines) that we created in ArcMap for them. I don't even think the graphics need to overlay the existing display (this would be a little weird, given that the graphics are planimetric); they could just switch to another map occasionally to view them.