ArcReader 10.2 with ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.2

03-03-2014 06:03 AM
ModernElectric
Occasional Contributor III
I currently have ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2 installed with about 12 other machines with ArcReader 10.2 installed for our operations staff to view the maps. It is a real pain to have to update all these machines when I do a new update on ArcGIS. So - with the release of ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2.1 - will the .PMFs I create still work on ArcReader 10.2? I have had problems in the past with the previous releases and wanted to check before I do it. I just want to move to ArcGIS 10.2.1 but leave ArcReader 10.2 alone and still have all my .PMFs work for my operations staff.

Thank You
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Have you ever thought of an alternate method than ArcReader to provide maps to your endusers?  If you have ArcGIS Server, you probably could configure a FlexViewer application that would no longer require you to install software onto these computers.  FlexViewer has some excellent custom widgets that mimic some of the functionality of ArcMap and ArcReader in terms of searches including related data.
0 Kudos
ModernElectric
Have you ever thought of an alternate method than ArcReader to provide maps to your endusers?  If you have ArcGIS Server, you probably could configure a FlexViewer application that would no longer require you to install software onto these computers.  FlexViewer has some excellent custom widgets that mimic some of the functionality of ArcMap and ArcReader in terms of searches including related data.

I would like nothing more than to have ArcGIS Service since it would open the doors for many more things. However, the powers to be have selected to stick with ArcGIS for Desktop and ArcReader and have no plans on budgeting for ArcGIS Server. So, I am kind of stuck.....
0 Kudos
TomMagdaleno
My experience is that 10.1 ArcReader will work on all 10.2.x authored PMFs.  I know what you mean about doing updates, we have never had much luck doing them with most software.
0 Kudos