State Lands management within GIS

03-03-2014 07:22 AM
Labels (1)
RobertMueller
New Contributor
Outside of the Indiana State Land Office, there are a couple other States that have specific land office (New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana) that specifically deal with past and present state owned/managed land parcels. I'm curious if there are other state government agencies that deal with state-wide parcel/property information as a state-wide dataset, or if the task is left to a conglomeration of state agencies to track and publish that information individually? I am in charge of the Indiana State Land Office as a single resource to maintain a dataset pertaining to current land parcels (6000+) and another for surplused parcels (1000+), including state run: parks, prisons, and hospitals, as well as associated data tables.

My next question for those in single resource positions - how are you dealing with coincident boundaries, mineral/surface rights, partial parcel sales, referencing surveys and other old documents? We have been moving towards an abridged version of the ESRI's Parcel Fabric since it seems to address these issues, however the model was intended for (almost) seamless county/city information and less for datasets that are contiguous within a property, but property are spread out throughout the state.

Curious

-Bob
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor
Outside of the Indiana State Land Office, there are a couple other States that have specific land office (New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana) that specifically deal with past and present state owned/managed land parcels. I'm curious if there are other state government agencies that deal with state-wide parcel/property information as a state-wide dataset, or if the task is left to a conglomeration of state agencies to track and publish that information individually? I am in charge of the Indiana State Land Office as a single resource to maintain a dataset pertaining to current land parcels (6000+) and another for surplused parcels (1000+), including state run: parks, prisons, and hospitals, as well as associated data tables.

My next question for those in single resource positions - how are you dealing with coincident boundaries, mineral/surface rights, partial parcel sales, referencing surveys and other old documents? We have been moving towards an abridged version of the ESRI's Parcel Fabric since it seems to address these issues, however the model was intended for (almost) seamless county/city information and less for datasets that are contiguous within a property, but property are spread out throughout the state.

Curious

-Bob

Hello Bob, thanks for the post.

I'm currently involved in a project to improve parcel aggregation from one jurisdiction to another, in other words "community-based Parcels".

You're exactly right in saying that the Parcel Maintenance Solution ( http://solutions.arcgis.com/local-government/help/tax-parcel-editing ) is really useful for a County Public Works, Assessor, City to maintain their parcels.  These tools maintain the vertical alignment for parcel types that are supposed to be coincident, or portions coincident (ownership, tax, lots, subs, leases, PLSS, etc.).

We (the ArcGIS Solutions Team) are working on a set of tools that allow participants to submit and update a larger, community-based parcel dataset.  For example, this could be a municipality updating a county, a county updating or contributing to statewide parcels.  For the non-US market, regions within a National-based Cadastre, etc.  This is really based on a simpler publication model extracted from the Parcel Maintenance Solution, but can also accept less-standardized parcel information from a variety of sources.

I'll make sure to keep anyone interested in the loop on the forum.

Edge-matching decisions need to be examined by the jurisdiction responsible for curating the dataset, but there are many tools and a few workflows that you can use to manage these relationships.

Some things to consider -

Administrative Boundaries - If a city/county has defined boundaries, and all jurisdictions shoehorn into those boundaries (fixed) it will make the aggregation simpler.  This can be managed directly with the addition of control points (maintained by the Parcel Maintenance Solution) and can "pin" down that boundary.  When the parcels that need to published are aggregated, they will fit without gaps/overlaps into the larger (simplified schema) community parcel dataset.

To use COTS editing/geoprocessing tools to perform this conflation, I would recommend the following tools (and these may be useful to use when simply loading parcels to our COTS Parcel Maintenance Solution).

Manual Adjustment - tools are available to align parcels along (what are supposed to be) coincident boundaries. 

Align to shape - http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//01m800000004000000

Automated Adjustment �?? tools are available to align parcels along (what are supposed to be) coincident boundaries. 

Integration - http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//00170000002s000000

Conflation - http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//001v0000000z000000

If you have any other questions, please continue the discussion.

Chris Buscaglia - Solutions
0 Kudos
ChrisBuscaglia
Esri Contributor
The solutions team as just released version 1 of Community Parcels, please visit the State Government page for more information and download.
0 Kudos