I can connect to my private WMS, but none of my layers are drawing.

03-04-2014 11:46 AM
deleted-user-7uOyUeQXbkI0
New Contributor III
I have created a WMS and it worked just fine the other day, but then I made it private.  It took me a while to get a token to work, but I finally did by creating one for the referer IP, so I can finally connect to the WMS. When I load it in ArcMap though, none of the features show up.  I can see in the table of contents that it is still reading things like my scale ranges for when to draw certain features, but there is nothing there. I just tried creating a new service with the exact same data and it too worked fine while I had it set to public, but when I made it private, I could no longer see the features.

What is going on?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
What does Fiddler say when requesting the service?
What type of data source are you using? 
What version of ArcGIS (and, if applicable, ArcSDE) are you using? 
What is your RDBMS version (if applicable)?
0 Kudos
New Contributor III
What does Fiddler say when requesting the service?

Fiddler is reporting a 499 error whenenver it is trying to draw the data.  I've looked up 499, but I don't fully understand what it means or how to address it.
What type of data source are you using?

This is vector data.
What version of ArcGIS (and, if applicable, ArcSDE) are you using?

ArcGIS Server 10.1 for the server.  Client machine is ArcGIS Desktop 10.1.
What is your RDBMS version (if applicable)?

SQL Server 2008 R2
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
The HTTP 499 responses result in cases where Nginx is used as the HTTP server and reverse proxy.  Typically, it means that the client closed the connection before the server answered the request.  After some brief online research, I've found that it can be caused by client side timeout. 

Check your timeout settings for your Nginx configuration if you have access, or ask your system administrator to do so.  By default, the thin timeout is 30 seconds which means your server's response will be cut off at 30 seconds if nothing is returned.  This may simply not be enough for the token authentication.  Try increasing this value, but remember that a very large value could cause issues with the client timing out.
0 Kudos
New Contributor III
Thanks for the response. I am trying to track down where NginX is even running in our setup, and we found a discussion in stackoverlow.com that made it seem like maybe it is our cloud load balancers and not NginX.  What confuses me though is that I get the 499 errors essentially the instant that I do anything that would send a request to the server to get the data.  It definitely isn't waiting 30 seconds, if even 1 second, before it returns the 499 report.

Edit: Stack Overflow conversation I mentioned http://stackoverflow.com/a/15621223
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Yes, I saw this Stack Overflow post while doing some quick research before replying initially.  You could definitely be right about the root cause; I'd be curious to know the resolution once you're able to track it down in your environment.  In taking a bit different of an approach, do you have a firewall or antivirus program that could be blocking the requests on the client?  Try disabling all of those to see if the behavior changes, although I doubt it will given the 499 error.  This probably isn't the cause, but I thought it might be worth asking just in case.
0 Kudos
JoeTosoni
New Contributor
Did you ever find a solution to your issue? I am experiencing the same problem - secured service WMS and SOAP requests are returning nothing over http and https. I have a reverse proxy with Forefront TMG in front of my web adaptor and then two gis server machines behind that. Any recommendations would be appreciated..

Thanks,
Joe
0 Kudos
CanÇerçi
New Contributor

I am a bit late for the discussion but i have same problem. When i looked to fiddler, I realized that arcmap does not request the url with token for drawing. Did anyone find a solution?

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

There's no provision in the OGC spec for tokens - tokens are an Esri specific construct. Basic/NTLM/Kerberos authentication will work. Given that you're working with ArcMap and I presume ArcGIS Server since you're using token based authentication, why do you use WMS instead of Map Services?

0 Kudos
CanÇerçi
New Contributor

Hi Randall, thanks for reply. We need to share our WMS/WFS services with another company in secure. I just tried token way but it did not work. We will use the integrated windows authentication way by creatin a domain user for company. What is the best way of sharing services through ArcGIS? 

0 Kudos