How to add uploaded File GDB data to Arc Online map

Jump to solution
03-06-2014 05:54 AM
BobBistrais
New Contributor III
I uploaded a zipped File Geodatabase to ArcGIS Online.  It uploaded successfully and it shows up in My Content.  My intention was to add layers in the File GDB to an Arc Online map. But Arc Online won't let me do so.  There is no option to add it to the ArcGIS Online map viewer, and it will not show up in a search when adding data.  The only thing I can seem to do with the file GDB is download or delete it.

What am I missing here?  It would seem logical that, if I can uplad my file GDB to Arc Online, I'd expect I can add that data to a map.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Hey Bob,

with an organizational account, you can upload feature services (which honors domains from a gdb), which you can use in maps.

Open the MXD in which you have prepared your gdb layer with your symbology. Make sure only that layer is in your MXD.

1) Click on File -> Sign In... (Here you sign into your organizational account)
2) Click on File -> Share As -> Service -> Publish a service
3) As connection choose My Hosted Services (My Account) and as service name use what you want the layer to be called.
4) Under the capabilities tab uncheck "Tiled Mapping" and check "Feature Access"
5) Fill out the Item Description tab
6) Under sharing you can check who is able to see it once published
7) Click Publish in the upper right corner and it will soon show up in your "My Content" on ArcGIS Online

Now you can use those feature services in your maps.

You can do this for each file in you gdb.

Hope this helps!

Tim

View solution in original post

12 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Hey Bob,

with an organizational account, you can upload feature services (which honors domains from a gdb), which you can use in maps.

Open the MXD in which you have prepared your gdb layer with your symbology. Make sure only that layer is in your MXD.

1) Click on File -> Sign In... (Here you sign into your organizational account)
2) Click on File -> Share As -> Service -> Publish a service
3) As connection choose My Hosted Services (My Account) and as service name use what you want the layer to be called.
4) Under the capabilities tab uncheck "Tiled Mapping" and check "Feature Access"
5) Fill out the Item Description tab
6) Under sharing you can check who is able to see it once published
7) Click Publish in the upper right corner and it will soon show up in your "My Content" on ArcGIS Online

Now you can use those feature services in your maps.

You can do this for each file in you gdb.

Hope this helps!

Tim
AmeliaNewsam
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to do this from ArcGIS Pro.  I have a file geodatabase with a raster and a feature class in it.  I would like to use both in my AGOL map.  At the moment I have not been successful in uploading it - I get the error message "Invalid url".  Theoretically, should I be able to upload this file and use the raster and feature class individually?

0 Kudos
AmeliaNewsam
Occasional Contributor

OK, I figured out one problem - I zipped a folder rather than individual files.  However, I still can't upload it.  It just says "There was an error."  

0 Kudos
AmeliaNewsam
Occasional Contributor

Tried sharing as web map, and that worked.  Although it first gave me error messages that my layer projections didn't match the service layer, so I removed the basemap, but that wasn't allowed, so I added one back in and then I was able to successfully share it to AGOL.  Weird, because the projections still didn't match.  I feel like I will always just be feeling around in a dark room trying to figure this stuff out.  

0 Kudos
BobBistrais
New Contributor III
Hi Tim,

Yes, that works.  Thanks!

Although that gets the job done, I would still like some explanation as to why Arc Online will let you upload a File GDB, but you can't map it directly.

Bob Bistrais, GISP
Maine Office of Geographic Information Systems
Augusta, ME
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Bob,

they stated it will be able to be used in the future. Right now all you can do is upload it to your content, which allows you to share it with other users (not in maps yet though).

Tim
0 Kudos
AynurKaratayeva
New Contributor
Hi Tim,
I have the same situation with Bob. I have sign in the mxd file as you advised, but couldn't find how to do the next step. There is no any Click on File -> Share As -> Service -> Publish a service. What can I miss? Thank you in advance
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Aynur,

what version of ArcGIS Desktop are you using?

Tim
0 Kudos
AynurKaratayeva
New Contributor
Tim,

I am working on ArcGIS Desktop 10.

Aynur
0 Kudos