Point Solar Radiation tool not working for me

03-11-2014 08:38 AM
AllisynDunn
New Contributor
Hello,

I am trying to create a solar radiation output from a 10m DEM (NED) and am running in to the following errors.

Error 010016: Error in calculating horizon and radiation
Error 010169: Row and column do not make pairs or are out of DEM boundary

I currently have 47 input points and would like to output a whole year with monthly intervals.

I believe that both my raster and vector are in complimentary projections --
The DEM is USA_Contiguous_Lambert_Conformal_Conic
while my point data is in GCS_North America_1983

I created the point data from coordinates given to me for each on ground location. The units were in decimal degrees and I added
them to Arc using the Add XY data function and defined the projection as stated above. If I am looking at the data there are
definitely NO points that are falling outside the DEM. I do however understand that Arc will project on the fly so that my data
"appears" to be lining up when in fact it may not be.

Does anyone have an idea as to why I am getting this error message, and what I can do to fix my data so it works?

Thank you!
Allisyn
5 Replies
CathyWilson2
Occasional Contributor

Where you able to find a solution to this? I'm having the same issue. I know my data has valid x,y coordinates and I exported the points that are within the elevation raster I'm working with, so they are within the DEM boundary.

Cathy

0 Kudos
HishamAlghamdi
New Contributor

I have the same issue. Is there any solution have been reached please?

0 Kudos
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

I was also struggling to get my Points Solar Radiation GP tool to run. Initially same errors as reported above. What worked for me was ensuring that my point data was in the same projection as my DEM (which was not in geographic coordinates) and then changing the Environment settings to match that of my DEM (Processing Extent, snap raster and coordinate system).

I also found this link useful ArcGIS Desktop Help 9.3 - Points Solar Radiation 

0 Kudos
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

I forgot to add that I also found that I had to delete two fields from my input points feature layer that contained slope and aspect values in degrees (eg. 44°). Including these values was causing ArcGIS Pro to crash when trying to run the tool.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would project your points so their coordinate system is the same as the DEM. You could do this by exporting the events in the coordinate system of the map/data frame or by using the Project tool.

0 Kudos