Download Styles

03-11-2014 09:22 AM
IanShepherd
New Contributor II
Is there anywhere I can download older ESRI styles for symbology? I found this PDF (http://downloads.esri.com/support/documentation/ao_/Military_Units.pdf) which has some of the styles from 8.3 that are no longer on 10.2. Is there somewhere I can download these styles so that I can create a new style within 10.2? Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
NidhinKarthikeyan
Occasional Contributor III
An ArcGIS style is really a Microsoft Access database. In ArcGIS 10, the database schema has changed for some symbol types. When you open a style from a previous release in ArcGIS 10, new fields are added to the database table to support the new search capabilities. You simply open and use a style from a previous release in ArcGIS 10. Because of the schema change, not all symbols are backward compatible to previous versions. If you work in an environment where you need to use both ArcGIS 10 styles and styles from a previous version, make a copy of the older styles and name them appropriately, before opening and modifying them in ArcGIS 10.

Take a look at the blog post:
http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2010/09/28/symbols-and-styles-in-arcgis-10-0/

Go through the comment by Jaynya Richards, dated March 22, 2013 at 10:14 am.

It is very likely that when your styles were copied over, the fonts they require may not have accompanied them. In order for the marker symbols (especially) to appear correctly, both items must be install.

The older version (9.3) style will open in 10x but it will not be available in the same way as in 9.3 after being opened in 10x due to schema having been added in 10x.
IanShepherd
New Contributor II
I understand what you are saying but my question is not how to add styles but where I can find them. I have been able to find PDFs that show the styles but unable to find an actual file with the styles to import.
NidhinKarthikeyan
It will be available in the following location:
C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Desktop10.2\Styles
0 Kudos
IanShepherd
New Contributor II
I know about those styles. ArcMap 8 (and I assume 9) had some styles that did not come with 10.2. All of the styles in the pdf I linked to in the initial post are not in that file path. I'm asking how I can download older ESRI created styles to use in the newer (10.2) ArcMap or is this not possible?
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
8.3 style is not available for download. I�??m not sure whether the older version style will open in latest version. You can give it a try. (The only option available, is to copy the style from ArcGIS Desktop installation directory 8.3, under the folder named Styles).
0 Kudos
HemantAngarkar
New Contributor II
0 Kudos