How To Side Load Your Own Tile Package For Offline Use?

Jump to solution
03-17-2014 08:24 AM
KevinWatt
New Contributor III
I was able to get the collector app to work in offline mode on an adroid device.  I downloaded the basemap with the app.  It created a folder called ArcGIS_Collector/offline_data/basemaps/Imagery on my device.  Inside there it stores a tile package (.tpk), a tumbnail .jpg, and a .json file which appears to be some sort of information (world file) about the tile pacakage.

I created my own tile package (.tpk) in ArcGIS desktop, and copied it to a new folder in ArcGIS_Collector/offline_data/basemaps/ , restarted the collector app, but I cant pick my basemap when i go to download a map for offline use.  It only gives me the option to use the basemap that I download orginally with the app as reference above.

Is there any documentation or "how-to" yet for side loading your own tile package for offline collector use?  I am assuming my basemap does not show up because either I have the folder structure wrong, or b/c I am missing the .jpeg thumbnail and .json world file.
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Here are the steps for using your own basemap

1. Prepare a tile package using ArcGIS for Desktop.

2. Plug your device into your computer.

3. Find your device listed in My Computer.

4. Navigate to the ArcGIS_Collector folder on your device.

5. Copy the tile package to the ArcGIS_Collector folder.

6. Restart Collector for ArcGIS on your device.

http://doc.arcgis.com/en/collector/android/collect-data/offline-use.htm

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
KevinWatt
New Contributor III
Sorry, answered my own question.  You need to copy your .tpk to the root ArcGIS_Collector folder, and it then gives you the option to select it when you download your map once you restart the collector app.

Note:  If you are using a Google Nexus 7 tablet  The "ArcGIS_Collector" folder is hidden when you connect to a windows pc using windows explorer.  To work around, I simply copied the .tpk to the "download" folder, then used ES file explorer on the Nexus 7 to copy the .tpk from the download to the ArcGIS_Collector folder.
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Here are the steps for using your own basemap

1. Prepare a tile package using ArcGIS for Desktop.

2. Plug your device into your computer.

3. Find your device listed in My Computer.

4. Navigate to the ArcGIS_Collector folder on your device.

5. Copy the tile package to the ArcGIS_Collector folder.

6. Restart Collector for ArcGIS on your device.

http://doc.arcgis.com/en/collector/android/collect-data/offline-use.htm
0 Kudos
AnnKitowski
New Contributor III

How do you do this on an ipad?  When I connect it to my computer, which is Windows, I can't drill into any folders of the device. 

0 Kudos
MiaogengZhang
Esri Regular Contributor

You can check "Use basemaps on your device" at Go offline—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS.

iTune in Windows should support this:

iTunes 11 for Windows: Transfer files between your computer and mobile apps

0 Kudos
AnnKitowski
New Contributor III

Thank you!!

0 Kudos
KevinWatt
New Contributor III
Thanks Russ!  I found that link right after i made my original post.  I tried a few different android devices and none of them display the ArcGIS_Collector folder.  Please take note of the work around I included above as I am sure this will trip up quite a few people.  Google only allows MTP or Camera for supported USB connections on every device I have tried.  Your ArcGIS_Collector folder must not be considered "media", so it doesn't show the folder in Windows explorer on the desktop PC.
0 Kudos
JohnRoberts1
New Contributor
Hi Guys

I've created a TPK with ArcGIS 10.1 Toolbox and followed the instructions to copy it to my Android (Kit Kat) device.  I can see it in the basemaps folder, but I can't do anything with it.  I'm assuming that I'll need 10.2 to interact with an off loaded TPK in the new Collector app?

The only option I have is to Remove the TPK, and below the preview image I get a message "This basemap is not currently being used"

Thanks for your time.

John
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Did you put it into the Collector basemap folder or into the ArcGIS_Collector folder? You will also have to restart the app and when you go to download a new map you will have the option to Choose an existing basemap or you can download a new basemap which will be coming from the web maps basemap.

Russ
0 Kudos
JohnRoberts1
New Contributor
Did you put it into the Collector basemap folder or into the ArcGIS_Collector folder? You will also have to restart the app and when you go to download a new map you will have the option to Choose an existing basemap or you can download a new basemap which will be coming from the web maps basemap.

Russ

Yeah, I put I've tried putting it in the base folder, as well as the Basemaps folder.  When I select the "Manage" option and then refresh the Basemaps drop down I only get the "remove" option. [ATTACH=CONFIG]33379[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos