Failed to build Geometric Network in SDE

Jump to solution
04-24-2014 10:11 AM
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
I was attempting to create a geometric network in my sde.  I had the geometric network in place in my file geodatabase and now I am ready to recreate the Geometric Network in SDE now that I've made the transition.  I tried to create the Geometric Network and I get an error message.

Cannot create geometric network.  The selected feature dataset does not contain any feature classes which can participate in a new geometric network.

Its as if the software thinks there is a geometric network already in place in the feature dataset but there isn't one.  What could be going on here?  I am using SQL for my SDE.

I am using Database Authentication to access SQL.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor
How was the data copied over to the new SQL Server SDE geodatabase?

Is the data in the feature dataset versioned? If so, you can not create a network on versioned data. See the tip section:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#/in_ArcCatalog/002r00000009000000/

Can you post a screenshot of the feature classes within the feature dataset that you are creating the network in?
--- George T.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor
How was the data copied over to the new SQL Server SDE geodatabase?

Is the data in the feature dataset versioned? If so, you can not create a network on versioned data. See the tip section:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#/in_ArcCatalog/002r00000009000000/

Can you post a screenshot of the feature classes within the feature dataset that you are creating the network in?
--- George T.
0 Kudos
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III
George,
I appreciate that.  I'm still new to SDE and I forget about versioning all of the day mostly due to the fact that I am a single user.  I migrated to SDE not necessarily for the multiuser ability but for some of the other features, namely feature services.  It would be quite helpful if the error was a bit more descriptive and explained why the Geometric Network cannot be built.
Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
TedLyman
New Contributor

Josh, you should be able to create a geometric network in versioned data if you first unregister the dataset.

In ArcCat (10.2) rt-click the dataset > Manage > Unregister as Versioned. Once built, be sure to re-register.

0 Kudos