Polygon not draping in ArcScene 10

03-30-2011 10:39 AM
TyrusCohan
New Contributor II
I've a polygon that I would like to drape over a TIN that was created from contour lines drawn in and exported from Micro Station.  I have followed the steps in Desktop Help titled "Defining data as a draped layer in ArcScene" to no avail.  I have, as was suggested, convert my poly in to a raster and then draped the converted raster also to no avail.  The result in both cases was a data set that looked as if the TIN was breaking through the draped data set.  These "break through"areas shifted about the scene as I moved throughout the data.  I have attached a GIF for your reference.  Any ideas?  Thanks for the assistance!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
I would suggest trying two things:

1. Change the drawing priority of the features under Layer Properties > Rendering tab > Effects.
2. Add a slight offset to the draped polygon from the Layer Properties > Base Heights tab.
0 Kudos
GastonIzaguirre
New Contributor III
I have problems when draping some layers over a raster DEM. I need to drape point, line and polygon features over the DEM. The features are in a file GDB. Most disconcerting is that some features are correctly displayed while others not, it's like as for some layer does not work the configuration "Elevation from Surfaces" from the Layer Properties. I tried to create new maps in ArcScene, reload features, and so on, but I can`t solve this issue.
Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
As a point of information, when draping polygons on top of surfaces, bear in mind that only the outline of the polygon will match the surface.  If the surface is particularly complex, there will be display errors.  If you are interested in having an object that will follow the surface, I recommend using the Interpolate Polygon to Multipatch

This tool will create a multipatch that will mold to the surface and not poke through.
0 Kudos
SierraLove_Stowell
New Contributor
What if all I want is the outline of the polygon?  I've tried draping the polygons and changing the symbology to hollow, but when I set the base heights to the underlying DEM, the outline is shot through with connecting lines (see attached .jpeg).
0 Kudos
JeremySincennes
New Contributor

I had the same problem . I used the "Polygon to Line" tool to create a new line feature. Added the new line feature to ArcScene and it worked, the outlines of the former polygons floated on the TIN with no distortions.

0 Kudos