Missing JTXDesktop custom steps

Jump to solution
01-26-2012 09:13 AM
AlisonGaiser
Occasional Contributor
I have three Workflow Manager installations and on one of the machines I cannot see any of the JTXDesktop custom steps (ie. JTXDesktop.LaunchArcMap). This and other JTXDesktop custom steps are available on the other two machines.  Other than this machine being a true server (Windows Server 2008 R2), there seems to be minimal difference between the configurations. I am hoping there is some simple step that I missed. Any ideas

Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TopeBello
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Alison,

Do you have both Workflow Manager Desktop and Server on the machine?
What version of the software service packs do you have installed on the computer? Did you have older versions of Workflow manager/JTX at some point?

Here is how to run the installer with logs.
Copy over the setup folder for workflow manager to a location on your computer. Since you are running this on a windows server 2008, you will need to explicitly run the CMD line window as an administrator. Here is how - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/run-a-command-as-administrator-from-the-windows-vista-r...
Once you have command prompt open,  here is an example of what your command will look like -
msiexec /i Example.msi /Lime logfile.txt

Example.msi = Workflow manager's setup.msi
Logfile.txt = Output log files that the installer will produce.

Send the log files and I can take a look, we might have to register this manually if the logs don't show any obvious errors.

Thanks,
Tope

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TopeBello
Hi,

It is possible that the DLL registration failed. Can you try running the installation explicitly as "Administrator"?
If this does not successfully add the steps to the category, then we can try running it with some logging enabled.

Thanks,
Tope
0 Kudos
AlisonGaiser
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for the suggestions. I have rerun the setup.msi and attempted a repair on the install. I know that the install was run as a member of the Administrator's group as that is the only way that I have access to this particular server. I have checked the registry and can see all the JTXDesktopSteps in there. The only thing that I noticed was that the CodeBase value shows the directory in lower case. I have also installed it in a different directory (Code Base file:///d:/program files(x86)/ArcGIS/WMX/Bin/jtxdesktopsteps.dll). 

I also tried right-clicking on the JTXDesktopSteps.DLL to register it. The system told me it was successful in registering the dll, but the application still doesn't show them in the interface.

What sort of logging can I do at this point?

Thanks,
     Alison
0 Kudos
TopeBello
Hi Alison,

Do you have both Workflow Manager Desktop and Server on the machine?
What version of the software service packs do you have installed on the computer? Did you have older versions of Workflow manager/JTX at some point?

Here is how to run the installer with logs.
Copy over the setup folder for workflow manager to a location on your computer. Since you are running this on a windows server 2008, you will need to explicitly run the CMD line window as an administrator. Here is how - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/run-a-command-as-administrator-from-the-windows-vista-r...
Once you have command prompt open,  here is an example of what your command will look like -
msiexec /i Example.msi /Lime logfile.txt

Example.msi = Workflow manager's setup.msi
Logfile.txt = Output log files that the installer will produce.

Send the log files and I can take a look, we might have to register this manually if the logs don't show any obvious errors.

Thanks,
Tope
0 Kudos
AlisonGaiser
Occasional Contributor
Well it appears that third time lucky!  I ended up doing a full uninstall and re-install of the desktop components and I can now see the DesktopSteps. I think there may have been an issue with my admin account during the first install. Your suggestion earlier about running it as Administrator got me thinking and I did some checks on my account as well as verified that when I ran the setup.exe I made sure to "Run as Administrator".

Unfortunately this machine was used to clone a number of other servers, so I have a bit of work ahead.

Thanks for the help!
0 Kudos
TopeBello
I am glad the installation is working now.

Thanks,
Tope
0 Kudos