saving maps to ArcGis.com

02-16-2012 08:07 AM
MichalGrinvald
Esri Contributor
Hi
In version 2.0 I could save a map configured with the ArcGIS Map Web Part to ArcGIS.com. 
I don't see this feature in version 2.1.1
Am I missing something?

Another feature I can't find is "Open item on click" which was on version 2.0
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12015[/ATTACH]

Were those features removed?
Thanks
Michal
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Michal,

In version 2.0,

• I could save a map configured with the ArcGIS Map Web Part to ArcGIS.com. I don't see this feature in version 2.1.1

• Another feature I can't find is "Open item on click"

Were those features removed?

In ArcGIS for SharePoint v2.1.1,

The "save a map to ArcGIS.com" functionality was removed. Reason: in terms of the overall ArcGIS "system" product story, the only place to create new Web Maps is on ArcGIS Online. The capabilities in Web Maps changes frequently (as we add new functionality) and the best place to support this is online.

Regarding the "Open item on click" functionality, this is still available, now there is an �??Open Item�?� link at the bottom of the popup that has the same functionality.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
MichalGrinvald
Esri Contributor
Hi Michal,

In ArcGIS for SharePoint v2.1.1,

The "save a map to ArcGIS.com" functionality was removed. Reason: in terms of the overall ArcGIS "system" product story, the only place to create new Web Maps is on ArcGIS Online. The capabilities in Web Maps changes frequently (as we add new functionality) and the best place to support this is online.

Regarding the "Open item on click" functionality, this is still available, now there is an �??Open Item�?� link at the bottom of the popup that has the same functionality.

Hope this helps,

Derek Hi,
Thanks for the quick answer.
I have a project, where the clients wants to use a SP page we designed for them, and sometimes add data, or use the NearBy utility that creates a new layer..
Then they want to save the changes with the new layers. Originally we thought that they will save it as a Web Map in ArcGIS Online.
What do you think would be our best option at this point?
Thanks
Michal
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Michal,

... I have a project, where the clients wants to use a SP page we designed for them, and sometimes add data, or use the NearBy utility that creates a new layer..
Then they want to save the changes with the new layers. Originally we thought that they will save it as a Web Map in ArcGIS Online. What do you think would be our best option at this point?

With ArcGIS for SharePoint v2.1.1, it is possible to implement the functionality using the ArcGIS Extensibility SDK for Silverlight. You will need to write a custom add-in to enable this functionality. Specifically, you will have to interrogate the map�??s layers and properties, create the corresponding JSON for this, then make the appropriate REST calls to ArcGIS Online (i.e. the ArcGIS Online REST API). There will be more formal news about the ArcGIS Online REST API at this year�??s Developer Summit:

Developer's Guide to the ArcGIS Online REST API

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos