Generate 3D line from tabular data

03-28-2012 10:36 PM
gavinburgess
New Contributor II
Hi

I have a SDE table of drillhole data that has Min X,Y,Z and Max X,Y,Z fields. I'm trying to find a tool that can create a line using these coordinates. It's easy with X,Y data, but I cant find any way of incorporating the Z's...

Has anyone got any suggestions?

I'm using V10.

Cheers Gavin
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
There are some known issues with creating zero leength lines.

One way that may work is to take your 2d points and use the Feature to 3d by Attribute tool.  Set the height field to the Min Z.  This will output a 3D point Z file.  Add the 3D point file to ArcScene and set the extrusion within the layer properties to extrude to the Max Z value.
0 Kudos
gavinburgess
New Contributor II
Hi

Nice idea except that it's not a vertical extrusion. These are drill traces that go on various angles. I could generate two 3D point layers (one for the top, one for the bottom) with the same hole ID and then try and develop some sort model to join them up. I'm a bit old school though and I could probably do it in VBA, but that's not much good anymore..

Cheers Gavin
0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum
I use a python script for this.
You'll have to change all the paths, table names and variables names yourself.
It outputs a 3d polyline from a table using TopX, TopY, TopZ & BotX, BotY, BotZ as the end points.

Good luck,
Neil
0 Kudos
gavinburgess
New Contributor II
Gold Neil, gold.. Sorry I forgot to post this earlier. Worked an absolute treat.

Thanks again.
0 Kudos