How to add 3D Buidings to DEM

Jump to solution
05-07-2012 07:03 AM
IwonaLeszczynska
New Contributor
Hello!
I need some help with my project. My english isn't perfect, so I apologize in the begining for any mistakes:) I need to creat some solar shading analyses and I'm using AG 10 with all extensions. Data that I collected are: 3D buildings layer (3D layer) witch I convert to multipatch, contour of the terrain, boundary of the terrain, polygon trees layer with height. I create DEM from contour, it's resolution is 0,5 m. I was trying to use http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=15173 by it doesn't working on AG 10 😞 Do You have any idea how I can 'add' buildings to DEM and get DSM. I need to add, that roofs of the buildings are precise (attachment). Do You have any suggestions what I can do? I would be very gratefull!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Greetings,

Please try this updated sample for burning in your buildings into your DEM.

http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/java/details?entryID=2929E846-1422-2418-A0DD-16627D87B471

Regards,
Eric

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JakubSisak
Occasional Contributor III
Hello!
I need some help with my project. My english isn't perfect, so I apologize in the begining for any mistakes:) I need to creat some solar shading analyses and I'm using AG 10 with all extensions. Data that I collected are: 3D buildings layer (3D layer) witch I convert to multipatch, contour of the terrain, boundary of the terrain, polygon trees layer with height. I create DEM from contour, it's resolution is 0,5 m. I was trying to use http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=15173 by it doesn't working on AG 10 😞 Do You have any idea how I can 'add' buildings to DEM and get DSM. I need to add, that roofs of the buildings are precise (attachment). Do You have any suggestions what I can do? I would be very gratefull!

This cannot be done in ArcGIS. (adding 3D buildings to DEM). Some features like dykes and dams can be modeled into a TIN surface then exported to DEM but TIN is a 2.5D surface not a 3D object (such as mesh or solid) so a 3D building with vertical walls cannot be added to TIN. Multipatch is a 3D feature and it is possible to merge and intersect closed multipatches but a 2.5D surface topography is not closed and cannot be therefore merged with other multipatch features. (Closed multipatch has to fully enclose a volume)
0 Kudos
IwonaLeszczynska
New Contributor
Mabe You have any idea how I can analize 3D buildings to get information about slope, aspect etc. of the roofs?
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Greetings,

Please try this updated sample for burning in your buildings into your DEM.

http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/file/java/details?entryID=2929E846-1422-2418-A0DD-16627D87B471

Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
IwonaLeszczynska
New Contributor
Thank You very much Eric! I think this is it.
0 Kudos
IwonaLeszczynska
New Contributor
Yes! It works correctly. Thank you again.
0 Kudos
RuiPlácido
New Contributor
Hi iwonka.leszczyk ,

My english also not perfect but this moment I work in project that I think similiar with yours. I will use solar Analyst one neighborhood that I have in 3D in google Sketchup and can export to Colladafile.dea and I have a Portugal Continental dem in Arcgis. That I need is join this two files in arcgis our arcscene and calculate area solar etc..

My buildings in 3d are roofs similiar with yours.

Eric thanks for help also..

cumps
0 Kudos
MichaelUpshall
New Contributor II
Does anyone know if the tool linked above, works in ArcGIS 10.1. I just used it and it seemed to process correctly, however there was no change in the final DEM. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mike
0 Kudos
MichaelUpshall
New Contributor II
The tool actually works fine. The issue was with the Multipatch file. Once that was correctly generated, the tool worked as expected.

Thanks

Does anyone know if the tool linked above, works in ArcGIS 10.1. I just used it and it seemed to process correctly, however there was no change in the final DEM. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mike
0 Kudos
JasonBenedict
New Contributor II

Does anyone know where I get this tool now? I can't get into the old ArcGIS resources page link anymore. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Jason

0 Kudos