GPS location service showing no symbol

06-04-2012 02:45 AM
OlliWirpi
New Contributor
After updating ArcGIS for Android SDK to version 1.1.1 location service shows no symbol anymore. Also the accuracy circle looks weird. How can I make the symbol and accuracy circle look ok? Code snippet and screenshot below.

locationService = mMapView.getLocationService();
locationService.setSymbol(new SimpleMarkerSymbol(Color.BLUE, 15, STYLE.X)); //setSymbol(new PictureMarkerSymbol(getResources().getDrawable(R.drawable.ic_maps_indicator_current_position_anim3)));
locationService.setAccuracyCircleOn(false);
locationService.setAutoPan(false);
locationService.start();

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14902[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
4 Replies
AndyGup
Esri Regular Contributor
Olli, what happens if you just use the default accuracy circle settings? Does the circle look okay then? To do that comment out the following line:

//locationService.setAccuracyCircleOn(false);

In regards to the SimpleMarkerSymbol, does it work for you if you try a different style? I was able to duplicate that STYLE.X didn't work for me either.

SimpleMarkerSymbol s = new SimpleMarkerSymbol(Color.BLUE,15,com.esri.core.symbol.SimpleMarkerSymbol.STYLE.CIRCLE);

-Andy
0 Kudos
OlliWirpi
New Contributor
Olli, what happens if you just use the default accuracy circle settings? Does the circle look okay then? To do that comment out the following line:

In regards to the SimpleMarkerSymbol, does it work for you if you try a different style? I was able to duplicate that STYLE.X didn't work for me either.

SimpleMarkerSymbol s = new SimpleMarkerSymbol(Color.BLUE,15,com.esri.core.symbol.SimpleMarkerSymbol.STYLE.CIRCLE);

-Andy

Tried that but didn't help. Actually I changed the symbol color to red to see what is changed on the screen. Strange that the accuracy circle stays and the blurry outline color changes.

Code:

locationService = mMapView.getLocationService();

SimpleMarkerSymbol s = new SimpleMarkerSymbol(Color.RED,15,com.esri.core.symbol.SimpleMarkerSymbol.STYLE.CIRCLE);
        locationService.setSymbol(s); //setSymbol(new PictureMarkerSymbol(getResources().getDrawable(R.drawable.ic_maps_indicator_current_position_anim3)));

locationService.setAutoPan(false);

Screenshot

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14970[/ATTACH]

I've looked at the Nearby sample. The location symbol looks ok (blue circle) when I run the application in my phone but I can't find the code that sets the graphical elements of the locator service from the sample project.

Olli
0 Kudos
AndyGup
Esri Regular Contributor
Olli, have you tried your app on a different phone? It's possible the blurry accuracy circle has something to do with your phone's operating system and its support for Open GL ES 2.0.

Also, do you have a local Esri distributor you can contact on this? I'm not sure how to duplicate this error, as I haven't seen it.

In regards to the center graphic and accuracy circle, those are created automatically when you start() the LocationService: http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgismobile/10.0/apis/android/api/com/esri/android/map/LocationService.ht...

-Andy
0 Kudos
OlliWirpi
New Contributor
Olli, have you tried your app on a different phone? It's possible the blurry accuracy circle has something to do with your phone's operating system and its support for Open GL ES 2.0.

Also, do you have a local Esri distributor you can contact on this? I'm not sure how to duplicate this error, as I haven't seen it.

-Andy

I was able to duplicate the error with another Samsung Galaxy phone, so the bug exists at least in two different Galaxy phones (Galaxy XCover (GT-S5690) and Galaxy S plus (GT-I9001)).

I solved the problem by copying the code from nearby sample. It makes the location symbol to apperar properly without the accuracy circle. With accuracy circle turned on the problem exists with similar blurry circle mentioned in previous posts.

Olli
0 Kudos