Markups become randomly offset

06-11-2012 08:14 AM
GregJalbert
New Contributor II
Just bought a new Samsung Series 7 Slate tablet.  I've published a map for field use and I'm getting errors with the markup tool.  I will draw redline markups and they will appear fine.  I'll continue working and making more markups during the day.  Then all of a sudden I'll discover all my recent markups are randomly offset and not displaying where I drew them on the map.  I don't think it's a projection or coordinate issue.  It's very random, all the markups are not offset the same.  I've been doing manhole inspections and putting a check mark next to manholes I've inspected.  Manholes I've not been able to inspect I will circle and make a note.  I'm really confused and don't understand what could be going wrong.  Here is a screen shot as to what it looks like.  You can see how the checks and circles are not next to or around a manhole symbol.  Anyone else having a similar problem?  Is there a setting that is causing this that I can change?  Or do you think it's just an issue with my tablet?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15102[/ATTACH]
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
GregJalbert
New Contributor II
I believe figured out the bug in the software.  I started playing around with the redlining on my desktop.  I discovered that if you make a mark and then pan or zoom with the scroll wheel on the mouse the markup became offset or scaled based on  your action.  Same if you use the scroll bars on the side and bottom.  If I make a mark and then select the pan tool and move around the markup stays where it should.  So the bug appears that the markup doesn�??t recognize the mouse (or scroll bars) as actually executing a pan/zoom command.  The markup seems to be in limbo until another command is executed.  It doesn�??t matter what the command is, it could be the measure tool or identify tool.  Once you click on a tool it finalizes the redline.  Then you are free to use the scroll wheel to pan/zoom without messing up the redline.

It would be great to see a fix to this bug.  We are only a week into doing field inspections using the markup tools in ArcRead and have found some great benefit in it.  The main reason for choosing ArcReader was it's free (as long as you have a Publisher license).  I'm working on publishing various maps for field use and purchasing more tablets.  Having it free really helps me roll this out to more staff with the ability to publish maps specific for each persons/project use.
MattYokiel
New Contributor
I also noticed that if the "eraser" tool is active and you zoom in/out or use the scroll bars the markups are scaled or moved so that they don't line up with the map.  The solution is to activate another tool before moving around within the map.
deleted-user-eecV1RPyUfl1
Occasional Contributor

We are experiencing the very same thing in 2016 with the eraser tool active. Hard to understand why this is still prevalent 4 years later.

0 Kudos