Getting error after installing AGS 10.1 and trying to "join site"

Jump to solution
08-02-2012 12:09 PM
RoyceSimpson
Occasional Contributor III
I'm getting the following error when trying to join a newly installed AGS to an existing site (which is up and running just fine).

Failed to join the site 'http://firn:6080/arcgis/admin/'. Server machine 'http://firn:6080/arcgis/admin//machines/register' returned an error. 'Failed to register the server machine 'TUNDRA.LC.GOV'. Server machine 'http://tundra:6080/arcgis/admin' returned an error. 'Unable to access the server directory 'C:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem'''

See the attached screenshot for the exact error. [ATTACH=CONFIG]16607[/ATTACH]

I've uninstalled and reinstalled a couple times with no success. 
Which "c:\..." folder is trying to be accessed for this?  "C:\" on the local server or the server which is trying to be joined to?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RoyceSimpson
Ok, so I updated the existing server's "arcgissystem" folder to be in the shared space along with all the others and now the new ags install can "join site". 

I hope that was the right call.
Not sure why that "arcgissystem" folder was create locally on the existing server when all the others were specified to go to the shared space.

Anyway, things seem to be fixed.
-r

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Royce,

This error occurs because the second machine that you're trying to join to your existing GIS site, can't access either the configuration store or the server directories (or both) of the existing GIS site.

You need to ensure that both the configuration store and the server directories of the existing GIS site are located on shared network locations that can be accessed and have read/write permissions by the ArcGIS Server account on the second machine.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
RoyceSimpson
Hi Royce,

This error occurs because the second machine that you're trying to join to your existing GIS site, can't access either the configuration store or the server directories (or both) of the existing GIS site.

You need to ensure that both the configuration store and the server directories of the existing GIS site are located on shared network locations that can be accessed and have read/write permissions by the ArcGIS Server account on the second machine.

Hope this helps,

Thanks Derek,
I've made sure that the config-store, directories and logs folders are all on a shared location and have installed both the existing, properly functioning AGS machine as well as this new machine using our arcgis AD account.  So, I'm not sure what else can be looked at in that regard.

Now, when I go into Manager on the existing machine, then go to the "Site" tab and "directories" option, I see that the "system" folder is set to the local "C:\arcgisserver\directories\arcgissystem" location and not in the shared space.  Does that need to be over in the shared space as well?

Other than that, I'm stumped.
-r
0 Kudos
RoyceSimpson
Ok, so I updated the existing server's "arcgissystem" folder to be in the shared space along with all the others and now the new ags install can "join site". 

I hope that was the right call.
Not sure why that "arcgissystem" folder was create locally on the existing server when all the others were specified to go to the shared space.

Anyway, things seem to be fixed.
-r
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Royce,

Ok, so I updated the existing server's "arcgissystem" folder to be in the shared space along with all the others and now the new ags install can "join site". I hope that was the right call.

Yes, I can confirm that your action was correct. I'm glad you resolved your issue.
🙂
0 Kudos
BlairDeaver
Occasional Contributor
I too am getting this error on a clean new machine.  I have followed the instructions outlined in KB 40465 and shared the arcgisserver folder with the AGS user.  Still getting the same error.  Any thoughts?  I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the software.  This same error also happens with the out of the box Cloud Builder setup. 

One difference is that this is occurring when I try and create a site.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Blair
0 Kudos
BubbaHey
Check that the correct permissions are being used:

What privileges do I need to grant to the ArcGIS Server account?
The ArcGIS for Server installation grants privileges to the ArcGIS Server account to read and write to the installation directory and perform basic functions such as starting and stopping server processes. The ArcGIS Server account does not need to be in the Administrators group on any machine in your site. However, before you create your site, you should grant the ArcGIS Server account:
Read and write permissions to the location your server directories will be created. Keep in mind that you'll need to grant the ArcGIS Server account read and write permissions to any new server directories that you create after configuring your site.
Read and write permissions to the location where your configuration store will be created.
Read permissions to the directories containing the database connection files that you'll register with the server before publishing. If you'll be using Windows authentication instead of database authentication, you'll need to also grant the account write access.
Read permissions to the GIS data folders that you'll register with the server before publishing. If you allow the publishing process to copy your data to the server (see Copying data to the server automatically when publishing), the data is placed in your server directories where the ArcGIS Server account was already granted permissions. You do not have to apply any more permissions to your original server directories.
0 Kudos
SedatMacoglu
New Contributor
I am also having a similar issue. I am using UNC paths in my site but still complaining about not being able to connect. I am using AD account which has full access priviliges on the directories. I am running out of ideas on where to look. Any help will be much appreciated.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18916[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]18916[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]18917[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
SedatMacoglu
New Contributor
oops second attachment was duplicate

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18919[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
ScottDavis
Occasional Contributor
Sedat - Did you ever fix your problem? I'm having the exact same issue.
0 Kudos