openGL ERROR

10-06-2012 09:56 AM
CharlesBonetti
New Contributor
[ATTACH=CONFIG]18241[/ATTACH]

Any ideas?  I know for a fact my graphics card is not only able to support this but is actually running a higher version than 1.x......so im really confused
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hey Charles !

Both your Graphics Card itself and the graphics drivers must run on at least OpenGL 2.0.

If the chipset is still on 1.x and not 2.0 capable, you'll need to buy a new graphics card.

If your graphics driver is just not up 2 date, find the driver for your specific OS and graphics card and install it.

Does this make it clearer ? Please let me know if you have more questions !!

Good luck !

Matt
0 Kudos
SamanthaStricklin
New Contributor
We are having the same problem.  We have the Nvidia FX1800.  When we install and run the Open GL test program referenced on the Esri CityEngine site it reports that opengl 3.0 is installed. When we install and run CityEngine we receive the same error referenced above. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

--Samantha

Hey Charles !

Both your Graphics Card itself and the graphics drivers must run on at least OpenGL 2.0.

If the chipset is still on 1.x and not 2.0 capable, you'll need to buy a new graphics card.

If your graphics driver is just not up 2 date, find the driver for your specific OS and graphics card and install it.

Does this make it clearer ? Please let me know if you have more questions !!

Good luck !

Matt
0 Kudos
SamanthaStricklin
New Contributor
We are having the same problem.  We have the Nvidia FX1800.  When we install and run the Open GL test program referenced on the Esri CityEngine site it reports that opengl 3.0 is installed. When we install and run CityEngine we receive the same error referenced above. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

--Samantha

I also ran the real tech VR openGL program after the installation of CityEngine and the program now returns that the opengl version is 1.1 where previously version 3.0 was reported.  None of our other programs are having trouble with openGL.  Please let me know if there is a fix or any information available.

Thanks again.

--Samantha
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi Samantha ..

* Can you try and set the Windows color depth to 32 bit [if it isn't]

* Is it a desktop or laptop ?

If laptop :
- Does it have an onboard graphics card ?
- Can you deactivate the Windows power save mode to prevent the onboard graphics card to be actually used ?

* Otherwise, if you have multiple monitors, use just one ?

Please let me know ..

Matt
0 Kudos
SamanthaStricklin
New Contributor
Thank you for your reply.  I have now just tried this on a new Dell 7010 desktop with an AMD Radeon 7570.  Prior to installing City Engine the OpenGL version reports correctly.  Once City Engine is installed the OpenGL version reports as 1.1 and City Engine will not run. 

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

--Sam

Hi Samantha ..

* Can you try and set the Windows color depth to 32 bit [if it isn't]

* Is it a desktop or laptop ?

If laptop :
- Does it have an onboard graphics card ?
- Can you deactivate the Windows power save mode to prevent the onboard graphics card to be actually used ?

* Otherwise, if you have multiple monitors, use just one ?

Please let me know ..

Matt
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

Which precise version of CE are you running ?
Did you update the graphics driver to the latest version ?

I'm not perfectly sure what the issue could be .. Let's track this down !

Matt
0 Kudos
GarySchells
New Contributor III
Can anyone please relpy to this thread with an update?  I am currently experiencing the same error and would like to know if I actually need a new graphics / video card or if there is anything else I can check.   I did not check my OpenGL version before installing CityEngine.  I am using a Nvidia GeoForce 9400 video card.  My IT dept updated to the most recent drivers and I am still showing OpenGL 1.1  Any response here would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

based on this:http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-9400-gt/specifications

your card has OpenGL 2.1.

can it be that you have a second graphics card ( onboard ), which is activated ? (e.g. power options )

can you post some more details ?
OS version, CE version, ..

Lemme know.

M.
0 Kudos
GarySchells
New Contributor III
Thank you for the reply.  I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, SP 1.  I believe I'm at CityEngine 12 or 12.1.  I have had our IT department check the OpenGL version on 4 other desktop and two other laptops in our organization and everything returns OpenGL 1.1
0 Kudos