New to ArcScene

07-28-2011 10:25 AM
DF
by
New Contributor II
I am new to ArcScene (and the entire 10 series) so this is probably basic information that everyone knows except me.

I have two layer that I would like to view 3D in ArcScene 1] Raster Elevation and 2] Raster of depth to groundwater.

How can I display these in ArcScene?  I have tried just add the data and it does not work.  When I convert the elevation to a TIN and load that into ArcScene all I see a a thin vertical line.  Please could someone point me to a detailed instruction of what to do?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChrisBerryman1
New Contributor II
you have to go to the layers properties and edit the base heights.
0 Kudos
DF
by
New Contributor II
you have to go to the layers properties and edit the base heights.

I have tried that:
Attached in Fig 1 is "No elevation values from a surface"...results as expected.
Attached in Fig 2 is "Floating on a custom surface"...results not as expected.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
I would consider the coordinate system of the data being used. I recommend setting the scene to a projected coordinate system rather than a geographic coordinate system.  The display issue is most likely caused by that. Setting the base heights to match the raster should take care of the rest.  If you elevations are in meters, then I would recommend using a metric projection.  Otherwise, you might get better results using ArcGlobe, since it is by default in WGS 1984.
0 Kudos
DF
by
New Contributor II
I would consider the coordinate system of the data being used. I recommend setting the scene to a projected coordinate system rather than a geographic coordinate system.  The display issue is most likely caused by that. Setting the base heights to match the raster should take care of the rest.  If you elevations are in meters, then I would recommend using a metric projection.  Otherwise, you might get better results using ArcGlobe, since it is by default in WGS 1984.

That took care of it. Thank you.
0 Kudos