Improve the performance of a map when dynamic layers are added.

Jump to solution
08-08-2014 06:29 AM
EvelynHernandez
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

My question is, how can i improve the performance on a map when i have too many features in a dynamic layer?

I have a map service that have information over 13.000 diferent features, and I am trying to display then in a map (not widget). (The city has 4 different dynamic layers that shows different info but just some of them exceeds the 13k features)

When we execute the app and load the layer, it takes time to put all the graphics in the screen, and when we try to make a zoom in, its also kinda slow.

We have to see the entire city with the info in the beginning, so we made a zoom that shows the city completely. But when we do that the graphics loaded in the map take time to show up.

If we put the extent too close inside the city, its ok (we change the layers to mode "ondemand"), but its not what we want.

We also have a good server, so i dont think that its a server problem or computer problem.

How can we improve the performance to see all the features in the map to not wait too long when they are loaded? or get stuck when we use the "mouse pan"?

Thanks in advice.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Evelyn,

You may not be able to do anything to sped this up... It sounds like you are using a FeatureLayer and thus Flash Player has to process the Flex code to draw each feature that could have thousands of vertexes  each and then you are talking about 13K... Well that is a LOT of map points to process in the memory space that the Flash Player Plugin has allocated to it from the browser.

There are somethings you can TRY (may or may not make a difference)

1. Up the minimum instances on ArcGIS Server for that map service. The default is 1 instance and 2 max instances.
  2. Allow for generalization. Set the maxAllowableOffset on the FeatureLayer

If at all possible don't use FeatureLayers, instead use ArcGISDynamicMapServiceLayer, or use both and only turn on the FeatureLayer when the map is beyond a certain scale.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Evelyn,

You may not be able to do anything to sped this up... It sounds like you are using a FeatureLayer and thus Flash Player has to process the Flex code to draw each feature that could have thousands of vertexes  each and then you are talking about 13K... Well that is a LOT of map points to process in the memory space that the Flash Player Plugin has allocated to it from the browser.

There are somethings you can TRY (may or may not make a difference)

1. Up the minimum instances on ArcGIS Server for that map service. The default is 1 instance and 2 max instances.
  2. Allow for generalization. Set the maxAllowableOffset on the FeatureLayer

If at all possible don't use FeatureLayers, instead use ArcGISDynamicMapServiceLayer, or use both and only turn on the FeatureLayer when the map is beyond a certain scale.

0 Kudos
EvelynHernandez
Occasional Contributor III

Well, we are using a dynamic layer  with all of the features included on it.

For now, we noticed that if we are not too close for the street view of the map the features will load slow.

So the thing is we change the zoom for the closest and it works a little bit faster than before.

Our instances is just 1.

Thanks for ur answer

0 Kudos