Is there no longer any ESRI GIS App building that you can do without an ArcGIS online subscription?

Jump to solution
07-31-2015 08:31 AM
RyanPaquette
Occasional Contributor

Want to replace existing web apps (data driven, mapping is secondary) from ArcIMS and non-GIS however all of ESRI app builders require a subscription to ArcGIS online. Is there no way to build GIS apps to run from our own GIS server without having to subscribe to ArcGIS online?

11 Replies
SubuSwaminathan1
Occasional Contributor

Yes. I believe Portal is included with ArcGIS Server. But it does take over that ArcGIS Server instance completely if you want to use it as intended for maximum benefit. Somebody like Derek Law can explain that better - I get lost on the variations of federated vs not federated. Will cross that bridge if and when needed.

I meant cost of ownership in terms of your investment in time and effort, IT manpower, hardware resources to run, patch,administer and maintain portal and not in terms of licensing. AGOL/the cloud does have an advantage on that front when doing more with less.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Apologies for the late reply. This thread was only just brought to my attention today.

Ryan Paquette​:

Q) Is there no way to build GIS apps to run from our own GIS server without having to subscribe to ArcGIS online?

A) FYI, in case you were not aware:

- ArcGIS for Desktop includes access to an ArcGIS Online organization;

- ArcGIS for Server (Standard and Advanced editions and for both Workgroup and Enterprise levels) includes Portal for ArcGIS;

both options above include Web Appbuilder for ArcGIS, which enables you to easily create and deploy new web apps.

Michael Davis​:

Q) Serious question about the costs of Portal though... I thought the Portal license was included with ArcGIS for Server Standard or Advanced at no additional cost, is this not correct?  It sounds like they give you a fair number of named users with that as well ...

A) You're correct. ArcGIS for Server (Standard and Advanced editions and for both Workgroup and Enterprise levels) includes Portal for ArcGIS. The number of named user accounts will vary depending on edition and level. For more specific details, please review the ArcGIS 10.3.1 for Server Functionality matrix whitepaper,

http://www.esri.com/library/brochures/pdfs/arcgis-server-functionality-matrix.pdf

Subu Swaminathan​:

Your statement,

> I believe Portal is included with ArcGIS Server. But it does take over that ArcGIS Server instance completely if you want to use it as intended for maximum benefit.

is NOT correct. You can use Portal for ArcGIS with ArcGIS for Server and it does not "take over" the Server site. You have the option of whether or not you would like to federate your Server site with Portal, this is NOT a required deployment option. It depends on your business workflow requirements. Please review the Portal help documentation for more details.

Hope this helps,