Population Scale

02-02-2023 09:46 AM
BritneyMaddock
New Contributor

We just started our Business trial and I'm having a difficult time with the population. When I run a smart search so that I can layer population and income it give me a sliding scale. I'm unclear on what Esri is considering the parameters for the population. For example if I slide the scale to 4,000 is this 4,000 the population a one mile area, does this number represent town population, county population, census tract? Other maps I've worked with typically  use a 1m, 3m, 5m, parameter. It's unclear to me what this scale, in connection with the surrounding area, actually represents. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DonnaBuhr
Esri Contributor

Hi Britney,

The data represented in Smart Map Search is based on the current map extent geography level.  For example, if you are at the Zip Code level, the data will be represented by the Zip Code geography boundary. By default, the data is shown at the smallest level of geography available at the current map extent.  For example, if you zoomed into a small area on the map, the data could be shown by census tract or block groups.  You can see the geography level being used in the Current map extent drop-down menu.

DonnaBuhr_0-1675457149150.png

This is also where you can choose another available geography level to map the data. Business Analyst uses a process called GeoEnrichment to provide demographic data about areas on the map.  For standard geographies, such as census tracts and block groups, retrieving data is simple because the information is already reported in these units by the agency providing the data (for example, the U.S. Census Bureau).  Maximum and minimum range values are determined by the current map extent and the geographies selected. 

With this in mind, let’s say that you are at the Census Tracts geography level and your selected data in shown on the map by census tract. If you move the Total Population slider to 4,000 the map is updated and highlighted to show only the census tracts with a population of 4,000 or greater, as shown in the image above.  Again, the specific range values will change based on the current map view and the geographies you are using for your analysis.  If you mouse over one of the census tracts on the map, the information popup shows the Census Tract ID and how each of the selected variables meet your defined criteria.  Click the Next button on Step 2 of the workflow to view the data table.  Here you can view a table of the geographies included in the map analysis and the associated data.  You also have the option to export the analysis to Excel, or view in a chart. 

You can find more information about Smart Map Search in the Help documentation. https://doc.arcgis.com/en/business-analyst/web/smart-map-search.htm 

Best regards,

Donna

0 Kudos