converting WebScene (3ws) content

Jump to solution
11-03-2023 02:12 PM
MarieSaldaña
New Contributor

I have a project from 2014 that exists as a CityEngine WebScene (.3ws). I haven't used CityEngine in a while, and we just discovered this platform has been retired and the project no longer works. I have been trying to figure out how to rescue this content.

- What is the best alternative format (such as a Scene Layer Package)?

- Is there a way to directly convert the file or will I have to rebuild and re-export?

- It appears that some of the features no longer available (i.e. interacting with the rule parameters, using sliders between layers, etc)?

- Is there any possible way to still view the original 3ws models?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SimonHaegler
Esri Contributor

Hi Marie,

• The current recommendation is to export and publish SLPKs (Scene Layer Packages) to ArcGIS Online (or Portal) and then view them in ArcGIS Scene Viewer.
  • These formats are fundamentally different and you would need to re-export your CityEngine scene.
  • AFAIK, there is currently no Scene Viewer based app with the same functionality. Our apologies.
  • In version up to 2022.1 you can use the "offline" viewer for this. The below command will open a browser window using a locally served copy of the 3ws viewer:
    SimonHaegler_0-1699271454159.png

Best,
Simon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SimonHaegler
Esri Contributor

Hi Marie,

• The current recommendation is to export and publish SLPKs (Scene Layer Packages) to ArcGIS Online (or Portal) and then view them in ArcGIS Scene Viewer.
  • These formats are fundamentally different and you would need to re-export your CityEngine scene.
  • AFAIK, there is currently no Scene Viewer based app with the same functionality. Our apologies.
  • In version up to 2022.1 you can use the "offline" viewer for this. The below command will open a browser window using a locally served copy of the 3ws viewer:
    SimonHaegler_0-1699271454159.png

Best,
Simon

0 Kudos
MarieSaldaña
New Contributor

Thanks Simon, this answers my initial questions.

For the purposes of archiving/documenting this academic project, do you have any suggestions on how to obtain an older version of the software? I currently only have access to 2023.0.

Also, is it possible to set up a local server to make the project available publicly as a webscene? I still run into CityEngine webscenes on the internet but I'm not sure how they are set up.

Thanks for your help.

Marie

0 Kudos
SimonHaegler
Esri Contributor

You should have access to CityEngine 2022.1 in your MyEsri account. If you do not see 2022.1, feel free to send me your Esri customer number in a direct message so I can forward this to our customer service.

The viewer included in 2022.1 is fully self-contained, i.e. you should be able to extract it and put it on a web server. Please note that this is not anymore a supported product, i.e. there might be functional limitations as well as security issues.

Best,
Simon

0 Kudos