ArcGIS Enterprise licensing and AWS CloudFormation templates

Jump to solution
05-29-2023 03:23 PM
AdrianaPaese
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I have two questions:

1- Is the EC2 instance deployed with the AWS CloudFormation template "arcgis-enterprise-allinone.template.json" compatible with a "four-core server" ArcGIS Enterprise license?

2- Both the "arcgis-vpc.template.json" and "arcgis-vpc-dmz.template.json"  deploy two subnets. Does the installation of ArcGIS Enterprise in a VPC with two subnets, each with a distinct EC2, requires two ArcGIS Enterprise licenses? Or, can the second installation be considered a "Failover license"? 

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimHaverlandNOAA
New Contributor III

Hi Adriana

It's true that the VPC templates will create two subnets, but the allinone template will only create one EC2 instance in one of those subnets. The instance type parameter in the allinone template is where you define the "size" of your EC2 instance. By default it's m5.2xlarge, which, according to the AWS physical core equivalency list, has 4 physical cores, so you should be covered by your 4-core license.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
TimHaverlandNOAA
New Contributor III

Hi Adriana

It's true that the VPC templates will create two subnets, but the allinone template will only create one EC2 instance in one of those subnets. The instance type parameter in the allinone template is where you define the "size" of your EC2 instance. By default it's m5.2xlarge, which, according to the AWS physical core equivalency list, has 4 physical cores, so you should be covered by your 4-core license.

AdrianaPaese
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much for your valuable answer. It was very helpful.

So, do you think I could place the geodatabase on the other subnet?

Best regards

0 Kudos
TimHaverlandNOAA
New Contributor III
Just want to point out that the all-in-one template installs ArcGIS
Datastore on your instance, which will handle the internal geodatabase
needs for enterprise/portal. If you have a separate enterprise geodatabase,
then yes, I think you'd want to have it in the same subnet as your
all-in-one instance.
0 Kudos
AdrianaPaese
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I would have a separate enterprise geodatabase, and, since the VPC templates create two subnets, I was thinking of placing it the private subnet  of the "arcgis-vpc-dmz.template.json". Do you foresee any limitations to that? It would be a good though, to be able to estimate the costs of the implementation of each one of these CostFormation templates.

Thank you

0 Kudos
TimHaverlandNOAA
New Contributor III

I'm getting out on a limb as far as my networking knowledge goes, but I believe you can put your enterprise geodatabase in a private subnet, and it should be able to talk with the all-in-one EC2 instance in the public subnet. Regarding costs, agree it would be great if esri could provide cost estimates per hour for typical cloudformation template configurations.