Single machine ArcGIS Enterprise CloudFormation deployment works except for accessing Server Manager

02-15-2024 10:48 AM
MikeSchonlau
Occasional Contributor III

We tried deploying the ArcGIS Enterprise 11.2 "arcgis-enterprise-allinone.template" using CloudFormation. The deployment appears successful - no errors in the CloudFormation stack, we can log in to Portal and validate the hosting server, we can run a successful describedatastore, we can access GIS Server Rest and Admin, however, we cannot access ArcGIS Server Manager. The login seems successful, but after that it just spins and says "Please Wait...".

MikeSchonlau_0-1708022434881.png

This happens when we use any of the following:

• <custom subdomain>/<webadaptor>/manager
  • <custom subdomain>:6443/arcgis/manager (from the machine itself)
  • localhost:6443/arcgis/manager (from the machine itself)
  • <private ip>:6443/arcgis/manager (from the machine itself)
  • <hostname>:6443/arcgis/manager (from the machine itself)

We used an elastic ip with a custom subdomain pointing to that elasitc ip using a CNAME record in Route 53. Like I said, Server admin and rest resolve, but not manager. Any ideas? Thanks for your feedback

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Does <custom subdomain>/<webadaptor> match either the services URL or the admin URL that's used in federation? When Server is federated with Portal, Portal only knows about those two URLs. When Manager is accessed, it operates as an "app", and the URL must be known to Portal, which means it can only be accessed using either the services URL or the admin URL used to federate.

MikeSchonlau

Hi Jonathan

Our Server Web Adaptor is called "server". 

<custom subdomain>/server/rest and <custom subdomain>/server/admin is what we use to access those successfully. The federated hosting server in Portal shows as <custom subdomain>/server

<custom subdomain>/server/manager, however, is not loading. We're wondering if it could have something to do with our wildcard SSL? Like maybe it needs an SSL for a specific subdomain, as mentioned in this post from @ChristopherPawlyszyn 

JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

I wouldn't expect a certificate problem to impact specifically Manager access; are you able to publish hosted services? If you look at the web traffic when accessing Server Manager, do you see an error similar to "Cannot generate a token for this server"?

0 Kudos
MikeSchonlau

I think we've resolved this situation. Unbelievably, because our subdomain started with the letters r-e-s-t (restore), that must have been a problem with the ArcGIS Enterprise cloudformation template somewhere along the way. The browser request to Server Manager was returning a truncated version of our subdomain with the r-e-s-t lopped off, which resulted in a token error.

We obliterated the stack and launched a new one, this time with a simple subdomain that didn't happen to include any type of reserverd word or sequence of letters. Voila! Success!

I'd be curious to know if this should be a footnote in the ESRI documentation or if we are just out of our gourds over here. Anyway, my stress level for the upcoming weekend just dropped significantly. Thank you for the feedback - it got us thinking along the right path.

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Yikes, definitely a bug, thanks for the update. If you can, get in touch with Support Services to log a bug.

0 Kudos