Can i get help setting up data structure in SQL?

Jump to solution
08-05-2014 07:45 AM
JimDahl
Occasional Contributor

I just installed ArcGIS for Server Workgroup and have Standard Desktop.  I learned how to import data into the SQL database, but i want to emulate a File GDB with data sets and relations.  I do not know how to start because it only lets me import all layers into the root space.  Any suggestions where to start? Templates or white papers or other suggestions are welcome.

Jim

Tags (2)
14 Replies
JimDahl
Occasional Contributor

Thanks

Asrujit,

I think i finally found the download on My ESRI and might have it. I will know tomorrow.  if if works i will give Kudos and finish up this thread.

Jim

JimDahl
Occasional Contributor

Asrujit, my IT person says we have SQL Server Standard.  This download appears to be for Express.  is there another download we need to get?

Jim

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

ArcSDE Workgroup will only work with SQL Server Express.

You can either use the SQL Server Express 2008 R2 provided along with the sde setup OR download/install any desired (supported) version of SQL Server Express from Microsoft's site and use it as well.

--------------------------

However, if you have to use SQL Server Standard edition (the SQL Server express has database size limits)......then you need an ArcSDE Enterprise license for that.

0 Kudos
JimDahl
Occasional Contributor

Asrujit, i believe i can end this discussion.  You have been very patient and helpful!  I have come a long way in educating myself on this installation.  I just downloaded the June 2014 White Paper on Server Functionality Matrix and conclude what we need to do.  I need to either forget the SQL, because IT says they have SQL Standard and do not want to install Express; or talk to ESRI salesperson about licensing up to Enterprise to use SQL Standard.

Jim

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Glad that I could help in any manner. Feel free to let us know if you need any more information.

0 Kudos