On Linux growing Directory Content.IE5

01-22-2013 03:57 AM
AlessandroSoldo
New Contributor
Hi there,

I came across the following directory on a Linux System with ArcGIS for Server 10.1 installed:

/arcgisserver/arcgis/server/framework/runtime/.wine/drive_c/users/arcgissrvr/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files/Content.IE5/

It now has around 6.5 GB (yes GB). It contains a huge number of files. My Questions are:

1. Why is this happening?
2. Can I just delete the files every night with a cron job without interfering with the ArcGIS server running?
3. Any futher Information regarding this directory is welcome.

Thanks in advance

Alessandro
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
OleSeidel1
New Contributor III
Alessandro,

Temporary Internet Files/Content.IE5/

It now has around 6.5 GB (yes GB). It contains a huge number of files. My Questions are:

1. Why is this happening?

is the size of the directory stable or is it growing every day?
If so, by which rate is it growing?
How many and what kind of services do you have running?

Ole
0 Kudos
AlessandroSoldo
New Contributor
Alessandro,

is the size of the directory stable or is it growing every day?
If so, by which rate is it growing?
How many and what kind of services do you have running?

Ole

Growrate is roughly 300 MB/ 24h

9 Map Services (Cached)
1 Geoprocessing Service
0 Kudos
AlessandroSoldo
New Contributor
I just found the following: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=23876

Essentially it seems to be a bug in wine which will cause the filesystem to slowly fill up. It will take quite a while, but sooner or later the file system will be full.

Deleteing the files is tricky. As the directories may countain 30000 files or more, issuing an rm -r * on the directories might lock up the system. A better, but also slower way is, to run the following command:

find "/arcgisserver/arcgis/server/framework/runtime/.wine/drive_c/users/arcgissrvr/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files/Content.IE5" -exec rm 2>/dev/null {} \;

Note:

Substitute your installation path at the beginning. The 2>/dev/null redirects the error message that the directories themselfs are not deleted. It will just delete the files inside.

Running that command as a cronjob every night, will keep the system clean, until the bug is removed. And if it removed, executing the command will do no harm.
0 Kudos
MarkChilcott
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Alessandro,

We are still running 10.1 and came across this.

The first we knew about it was we could no longer publish services, and there was a message in the log file that pointed to the Temporary Internet Files directory.

In case others see this, it appears to be resolved in 10.2.1.

NIM089871 : ArcGIS Server 10.1 on Linux allows files to accumulate in temporary folders in the .wine directory.

We have a cron job that clears the directory out every day.

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
LanceBarbour
New Contributor

Just to get this out there, while the bug may have been fixed in the .wine directory, I just had the same issue with the Content.IE5 directory in ArcGIS Server for Linux 10.2.2 - except now the directory in question is "~/arcgis/server/temp/Content.IE5/"

262993 /home/esri/arcgis/server/temp/Content.IE5/UOJV8X2J

263799 /home/esri/arcgis/server/temp/Content.IE5/QG5I5D7Y

264553 /home/esri/arcgis/server/temp/Content.IE5/I0DSYAFR

265346 /home/esri/arcgis/server/temp/Content.IE5/M8R52UBC

Server: 10.2.2.3552

JRE: 1.7.0_51

Tomcat: 7.0.47.0

Geronimo: 2.2.2

Wine: wine-1.4-rc1

We're working on some sort of cronjob workaround now ourselves, but this issue definitely still exists in one form or the other. To get this more searchable, the error returned was "'/home/esri/arcgis/server/geronimo/deploy/test_services.test01.ImageServer.jar (No space left on device)'' " and it relates to exhausting the available inodes (do a df -i ) with too many temporary files, and can be quite confusing because the standard "df" will show available space.

Hope this helps someone out there.

-- Lance

0 Kudos
KennethOGuinn
New Contributor III

Hi Guys,

I know this behavior still exists as of 10.3 and has been logged as bug NIM089871.

If you contact Support services you can be attached to the bug to track its status. Also, as suggested in this thread, it is safe to run a cron job to remove the contents of that folder as per 43370 - Locate temporary files on ArcGIS for Server on Linux operating systems

Sorry for the difficulties, though I hope the above link helps mitigate the effects in the meantime.

0 Kudos