Problem moving config-store

03-06-2013 04:59 AM
ArthurAbbie
New Contributor II
Hi all,

Server 10.1 sp1, win2008r2, vmware, site has 3 servers in 2 clusters.

I am trying to move our config-store from one network share to another using Server Manager.  It tells me it is 'Copying site configurations to the new configuration store'.

Then, after a while, I get an error saying 'Another administrative operation is currently accessing the store. Please try again later.' Error code in the log is 6540 - Failed to update the config store... mmhm... helpful...

I have tried again later quite a few times... with services started and stopped - always the same error.

Most of the config-store files/folders do seem to get copied ok but can't be 100% sure of that.

Anyone else had this happening? Any ideas how to fix? What am I missing?

Thanks,
Arth.
Tags (2)
11 Replies
AndrewHaigh
New Contributor III
Hi,

I don't quite have the same problem but I do get the same error message.

Basically I am attempting to configure a Site with multiple servers (on Red Hat Linux) with the Configuration Store and Server Directories stored on an NFS filesystem. When I try and create the site, I get the same error you describe.

I'm looking at this with ESRI (UK) and if get anything useful I'll let you know.

Andrew
0 Kudos
TomMagdaleno
Occasional Contributor III
Could you try doing a fresh install on the new server, then copying the everything from the Services folder over?
0 Kudos
AndrewHaigh
New Contributor III
Hmm,

My problem is slightly different in that I can't create the configuration store on the NFS file system, it fails with the 'Another administrative operation is currently accessing the store. Please try again later.' message.

I can create a configuration store on the local file system but if I then copy it on to the NFS file system, ArcGIS Server fails to start an no logs are generated to indicate the cause of failure.
0 Kudos
ArthurAbbie
New Contributor II
@ahaigh:

has the account your ArcGIS is running under definitely got all required permissions to the NFS filesytem? 

I was thinking of trying just manually moving the config-store next but maybe not now 🙂

Thought - AGS needs to know the path to the config-store, that can't be held -in- the config-store so where is it held? init or config file? Registry in Windows?  So..might manually moving the config-store, change path setting and finally re-start AGS work?

@tomsriv:

We don't have a different server to install on. I'd rather not re-install on existing as there are 3 servers / 2 clusters already in the site, different services in each cluster etc. I'm sure I'd lose something and have to go through the whole setup again. 

Also ESRI/ArcGIS Help says it's easy so their way -must- work... umm, mustn't it?... 🙂

Thanks,
Arth.
0 Kudos
AndrewHaigh
New Contributor III
Hi,

Just thought I'd let you know we'd got to the bottom of the issue, as described below:

The initial NFS configuration worked OK from the OS level. User arcgis was able to read/write files over NFS from the Application servers to the Cluster. However, from the Application level, NFS did not appear to work as expected.

From our testing, we found iptables (Linux Firewall) was causing the issue. By enabling verbose logging, I found NFS Locking was being blocked.

By adding an additional rule to iptables to allow NFS Locking through, everything from the Application level now works as expected.

Andrew
0 Kudos
ArthurAbbie
New Contributor II
Hi,

I've given up.

Managed to move the config using Win Explorer for the folders/files then Manager to update settings, this worked ok in that the site functions but I can't move it again (anywhere) using Manager because of 'name is null' errors.

Tried creating a simple one-server site with config on first share and could move config anywhere including to/from the problem shares...

We're blaming 'something about the original share' for now.

Thanks for thinking about this.

Arth.
0 Kudos
MasterAdmin
New Contributor II
Thought - AGS needs to know the path to the config-store, that can't be held -in- the config-store so where is it held? init or config file? Registry in Windows? So..might manually moving the config-store, change path setting and finally re-start AGS work?

Hello, does anyone know the location of this setting; we are having a similar issue.

Thanks
0 Kudos
EmmanuelFournaux
New Contributor
Finally, I've found the config file where the path to the config-store is specified :
"C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\etc\config-store-connection.xml"

Change path setting and finally re-start AGS work for me 🙂
TobiasFimpel1
Occasional Contributor III

Emmanuel, After applying this workaround are you able to publish new services (without anything being written to the old config store location)?

0 Kudos