Relational Data Store - unable to change mode (readonly > readwrite). ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1

01-19-2024 03:42 PM
shapirot
New Contributor III

Our relational data store was placed in readonly mode, after running out of disk space. 

(Error message from the log file: "Available disk space on the drive where the relational data store is configured is less than '1024' MB. The relational data store will be placed in READONLY mode. Once you increase the amount of disk space on the drive, you can place the relational data store back in READWRITE mode")

More disk space was made available, but when I attempt to change the mode back to readwrite, using  'changedatastoremode', I receive an error saying "Relational data store is not configured".

If I attempt to configure the data store, I receive a message saying the Data Store already exists!  See screenshot below.

What is happening and how do I fix it?  Thanks for any recommendations to repair our data store troubles.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

If you are on Windows try to stop/start the ArcGIS Data Store Windows Service to see if that clears things, then if the data store is still read-only try again to change it to read-write.

I am adding a link to the document as reference.

ArcGIS Data Store utility reference—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise

The changedatastoremode utility is also used to place the relational data store back in a read-write mode after you finish maintenance or after you add enough disk space to the primary data store machine to allow the data store to function properly in read-write mode.

You must run the changedatastoremode utility on the primary relational data store machine, not the standby machine.

Note:

If ArcGIS Data Store places your relational data store in read-only mode due to insufficient disk space, automatic backups are also disabled to avoid filling the disk further. Therefore, you must reset your automatic backup schedule using the updatebackupschedule utility after you place the relational data store back in read-write mode.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos
shapirot
New Contributor III

No luck with restarting the service.  Is it possible to restore to an automatic backup while it is in readonly mode?

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@shapirot - I would not attempt anything else at this point. I would open a ticket with Esri Technical Support and ask them to help to diagnose the issue.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
DanielBrumm1
Occasional Contributor II

I have run into this same issue over the years. The easiest way to change the datastore back to readwrite is using the changedatastoremode command. It should only take a minute to run. 

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\DataStore\tools   "this is where that command is located" 

you need to run changedatastoremode readwrite --store relational --prompt yes

Daniel Brumm
GIS Nerd
0 Kudos
JasonBritton1
Occasional Contributor

Had this issue a month or so ago and it was realted to a security patch. Command line switch to Read-Write worked, but issue is back today and the Command line prompt wont fix the issue. Extremely frustrating to say the least 

0 Kudos
shapirot
New Contributor III

when I attempt to change the mode back to readwrite, using  'changedatastoremode' command, I receive an error saying "Relational data store is not configured".

0 Kudos
DanielBrumm1
Occasional Contributor II

oh duh.... I see in your original message you already tried the changedatastoremode  🙂 I am an idiot... You just have the one datastore?  You don't have a Primary and Standby?    I have run into that error message before and typically when I get it. It's on my Standby Datastore and I have to remove and re-add it. 

Daniel Brumm
GIS Nerd
0 Kudos
Ben-Jammin
New Contributor

Hello Everyone,

Just chiming in on here: why would the datastore mode change to READONLY, if it IS NOT due to disk space?

Are there other reasons/conditions why it would go into READONLY mode?

I am having now to change it to READWRITE on a daily basis - which takes up precious time!

(currently have 9 GB disk space available)

Cheers,
Benjamin

0 Kudos