Spatial Views not Updating

Jump to solution
02-26-2013 05:53 AM
AndrewBrown1
Occasional Contributor II
Hello,

I'm new to the spatial view world, and I my spatial views aren't updating when I update the base feature class. Here is my situation:

We have several spatial views built from a script. The views were created using different definition queries, but they're all from the same base feature class. The spatial views are used on a production server within a web mapping application, so they have locks created by the ArcGIS server service. The base feature class has been "registered as versioned" in order to create and add new data. When I added new data to the base feature class, the spatial views didn't update with the new features.

Is this because of the "locks" on the spatial views from the server service?

Why aren't they updating? Shouldn't they update automatically?

Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdamZiegler
New Contributor III
I think it may be a version issue you're dealing with. You said you versioned the data, are you editing that data through a child version of default? Are your spatial views pulling data from the Default version or a child of Default? If your views are looking at default and you are editing a child of default then you need to reconcile and post your changes to the default version. You could also use the 'move to base' option to ensure your edits are being pushed to the default version of the database.

Did you create the map service consuming the views prior to versioning the data? If that is the case, you may need to look at the service again. When you create a spatial view of a versioned feature class you need to tell ArcMap what version to look at, you will be prompted to chose a version when you add the spatial view. I think that is stored in the mxd and then in the service.

Adam Z

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AdamZiegler
New Contributor III
I think it may be a version issue you're dealing with. You said you versioned the data, are you editing that data through a child version of default? Are your spatial views pulling data from the Default version or a child of Default? If your views are looking at default and you are editing a child of default then you need to reconcile and post your changes to the default version. You could also use the 'move to base' option to ensure your edits are being pushed to the default version of the database.

Did you create the map service consuming the views prior to versioning the data? If that is the case, you may need to look at the service again. When you create a spatial view of a versioned feature class you need to tell ArcMap what version to look at, you will be prompted to chose a version when you add the spatial view. I think that is stored in the mxd and then in the service.

Adam Z
0 Kudos
AndrewBrown1
Hi Adam,

Yes, I believe I added the new features to the "child" of the default version. Unfortunately, when i use the "version manager" in ArcMap with my feature class loaded, it shows the only version as default. Should it display the child versions? Also, I don't have reconcile and post as options in my toolbar when i'm in an edit session with the feature class.

Also, I cannot find "move to base" function anywhere... only the "unregister as versioned" within the Toolbox. Would this suffice?

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Kudos
AnnalieseVollick
New Contributor III
I am experiencing a similar problem here.  I am well versed with SDEBINARY spatial views in the ArcSDE 9.1/Oracle 9i world.  In our ArcSDE 10.1/Oracle 11g environment, I have created ST_GEOMETRY views using SQL joining a polygon base layer and view of a non-spatial table from another database.  Changes made to the polygon layer are not showing up in the View(s).  We are registered as versioned to edit and also we replicate this database to another.  Database is compressed, edits show in default (only editing default), just the view is not updating.  Were you able to figure anything else out about this?
Annaliese
0 Kudos
AndrewBrown1
Hi Annaliese,

I determined that I was performing edits on the default version, too. I believe that there are many different "sub-versions" of the default version, so by unregistering the feature class and compress your edits, you're consolidating all of those "sub-versions" into a master version. I was able to remedy my problem by unregistering my feature class and compressing my edits into to the base table:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Unregistering_data_as_versioned/003n000000...

If you don't check that box to compress your edits, you'll lose all of your edits!

This compresses all versioned edits made to the version to which you are connected only.
If you did not complete step 1 before unregistering but did check Compress all edits in the Default version to the base table, you will lose any edits made to versions other than the version to which you were connected. If you did not complete step 1 before unregistering and did not check Compress all edits in the Default version to the base table, you will lose all edits in all versions.

Good luck,
Andrew
0 Kudos
AnnalieseVollick
New Contributor III
Thanks for the quick response, Andrew.

Am I understanding that you unregister and compress each time you make edits on the joined layer?  Or just leave it unregistered as versioned now?

Thanks for the help!
Annaliese
0 Kudos
AndrewBrown1
I left it as unregistered for right now. Since I don't make many edits to that feature class, I'll re-register it when I need to add new features and whatnot.

There are also ways to add features to a non-registered feature class, check this out:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//003n000000s8000000

However, you lose the ability to undo and redo edits.

I was always told that versioning could be quite powerful if you know how to use it correctly.

Good luck,
Andrew
0 Kudos
AnnalieseVollick
New Contributor III
Andrew, thanks very much for pointing out the nonversioned edits link! This is helpful.  I won't have to edit this featureclass often but may be able to make use of this process when I do.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!
Annaliese
0 Kudos
AndrewBrown1
You're welcome!

I had to make an update to the feature class this morning, and when I did, I used the Field Calculator to update attributes of a few features. Easy and didn't require an edit session.

Glad to hear things worked out for you!

Andrew
0 Kudos