Will a clean uninstall and reinstall of ArcGIS Server upgrade impact federation?

Jump to solution
01-23-2024 02:47 AM
Yogesh_Chavan
New Contributor III

We followed the upgrade procedure/steps to get 11.1 from 10.8.1.

Portal was upgraded successfully along with the web adaptor.

ArcGIS Server was also installed successfully but failed to launch server manager and is no more accessible. We looked for all possible things involving ports, but can't get to launch server manager page.

I would like to know. If I can go ahead and uninstall the server 11.1 from my machine and reinstall 11.1?  Will it break the upgrade chain? 

The base deployment is federated. Please help!!!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hlindemann
New Contributor III

@Yogesh_Chavan , yes a clean install will break your federation, you need to upgrade to 10.9.1 then you have to run the conversion tool "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\tools\UpdateArcMapServices\UpdateArcMapServices.bat" to covert the old GP tools and services to the new format. and then upgrade.

did you make a site export of ArcGIS Server before your upgraded ? if yes ping me and I will provide a workflow to get the system up.

Kind Regards

Henry

View solution in original post

15 Replies
hlindemann
New Contributor III

@Yogesh_Chavan , yes a clean install will break your federation, you need to upgrade to 10.9.1 then you have to run the conversion tool "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\tools\UpdateArcMapServices\UpdateArcMapServices.bat" to covert the old GP tools and services to the new format. and then upgrade.

did you make a site export of ArcGIS Server before your upgraded ? if yes ping me and I will provide a workflow to get the system up.

Kind Regards

Henry

Yogesh_Chavan
New Contributor III

Thank you @hlindemann,

Just wanted to share that we only have WebGISdr backup for portal. Also would like to clarify that the server upgrade installation was successful, but the server manager is not launching. Is there anything in specific like a patch we need to get the server up and running? There are few Bugs and Patches we observed are required? 
Esri Support Search Results

0 Kudos
hlindemann
New Contributor III

@Yogesh_Chavan, what I think might be happening is that you have legacy services that where not converted because of the missing 10.9.1 upgrade step.

lets do a few tests to see where the server is broken.

if the ArcGIS server service is started can you run the following in powershell.

Test-NetConnection domain.xyz.com -port 6443

if this comes back false then your webserver is broken if it comes back true then your services might be causing the problem, if you open up task manager under processes is their ArcSocs.exe running if no then your services did not start if yes then you might just be sitting with a problem like a proxy, can you take a screenshot of the webpage when you try to connect over https://domain.xyz.com:6443/arcgis/manager,

Recovery, 

if you have the capacity to spin up a new VM then you can install a 10.8.1 you will have to make a hostfile entry that points to the current ArcGIS Server name for this to work e.g. IP DNS this is located at "C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\hosts", then I can guide you how to extract your content out of WebGISDR for just the ArcGIS server and restore it.

Kind Regards
Henry

0 Kudos
Yogesh_Chavan
New Contributor III

Hello @hlindemann ,

A few more checks that might give some clues what we might be missing.

1. Below URL do not return any communication
    https://domainname.xyz.com:6443/
    https://domainname.xyz.com:6080/
  2. Telnet 6443 and 6080 gives no entry found
  3. ArcGIS server service on windows shows running
  4. Ports are open on Inbound Rules.
0 Kudos
hlindemann
New Contributor III

@Yogesh_Chavan 

ok so the webserver is not starting up can you have a look at "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server\framework\etc\service\logs" at the service-error.log, have a look if you see and obvious error or share the log file.

0 Kudos
Yogesh_Chavan
New Contributor III

Thank you @hlindemann , for being along.

Here is what we did. 

Force Unfederated the Server, reinstalled the server to 11.1 and published all the services back again and then did a federation. As we did not had a server backup and this is a UAT environment.

Just a side question I have. Does a joined machine to a server site also be federated to a Portal?

Yogesh_Chavan_0-1706862691036.png

Thank you once again.!!

0 Kudos
hlindemann
New Contributor III

Hi  @Yogesh_Chavan, a joined site will be in an Active-Active configuration e.g. they syce between each other the config-store and directory needs to be on a network share and the servers needs the same service account, the second machine will automatically be added to your federation, I would advise to then federate using just the web adaptor.

hlindemann_0-1707110830135.png

0 Kudos
Yogesh_Chavan
New Contributor III

Hi @hlindemann ,

I have a server site with web adaptor installed on machine A and there is another machine B with server installed and joined to machine A. 

We are observing that after federating machine A with portal (on machine C), machine B just goes into please wait mode. If we un-federate machine A this issue does not happen and machine B works fine. What is triggering this? We tried reinstalling, issue persist.

Yogesh_Chavan_0-1707304675836.png

Thank you!!

0 Kudos
hlindemann
New Contributor III

Hi @Yogesh_Chavan can you give me some more context on the end point you are trying to hit. is it webadaptor/manager or https://dns.com:6443/arcgis/manager  ?

Regards

Henry

0 Kudos