Faulty measuring tool

09-07-2010 05:19 PM
MarkWhitehouse
New Contributor
Hi I having problem's with V1200 using the measurement tool, I finding it is out by at least 1.5metres to 2 metres eg measuring Road widths and lanes don't matched to real world. I did expect some difference but not by this much. What is the solution?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Mark,

It could be down to the projection you're in when measuring - what projection are you using? There's a blog post about choosing the right coordinate system for measurements: http://blogs.esri.com/Dev/blogs/arcgisserver/archive/2010/03/05/Measuring-distances-and-areas-when-y....

One thing to be aware of is that in Explorer we always use a geodesic measurement to ensure we get the same result between 2D and 3D.

I'm not aware of any fixes directly to the measure tools in Explorer 1500 - but it may be worth trying the newer version if you are able to upgrade.

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
DaraBurlo
Esri Community Manager
For the measure tool we did address NIM055620 The straight-line distance between two places gives inaccurate results in ArcGIS Explorer build 1200. Try with ArcGIS Explorer 1500 and let us know if you are still seeing the same results.

Dara
0 Kudos