Features disappear on zoom?

04-14-2010 07:12 AM
Public_HealthObservatory
New Contributor III
I have an AGX 1200 project with a series of boundary shapefiles in it. At the full extent of the shapefiles (all shapefiles have the same extent), I can see all the features of all of the shapefiles. However, when I zoom in, some of them disappear. Some shapefiles work at any zoom level, and some of them disappear when I zoom in. First just part of the features will disappear, like the right half of the extent. Then as I go in further, they disappear completely. None of them have any minimum/maximum display scales set. The ones that work, work consistently, and the ones that fail, fail consistently.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
31 Replies
SarahGreenlaw
Occasional Contributor
The data is just stored on a drive within our network which all computers can access.  I did not want to have each computer have the data locally because it is changing dynamically by me and I can just overwright the data on the network drive that everyone uses so they have the most current on their Explorer.  What is an SDE server?  We are going to have about 50 users on this system for now.  Mainly the TMK .lpk is slow (probably because it is so big) but it is still very usable.

If you are going to go the route of having the data on a networked drive there is a main issue.  When I moved from Arcmap 9 to 10, when I made changes to a .lpk and then overwrote to the network, .lpk's were unreadable by ArcGIS Explorer.  Turns out the .lpk which Arcmap 10 spits out was a bit different than 9 and was making Explorer fussy so they were all broken data.  I had to re-upload a main map for the Explorer users to download and save.  Once that was done Explorer has no problem until I update another shared .lpk using Arcmap 10 which were originally made from Arcmap 9.

Hi Dustin,

Thanks for the reply - it is very timely. 

An SDE server is just an ArcGIS Server.  For more info, see here.  We have our target data stored on an ArcGIS Server, which I edit on, but when I do geoprocessing, I save the results on my C drive as I don't have write access to the server. 

Our GIS IT consultant told me that in terms of speed, it goes like this, from fastest to slowest: 1-ArcGIS Server, 2-local computer, 3-network drive.  I have found that queriying and doing geoprocessing on data on our network drive is significantly slower than doing the same on my local machine, so I opt for that.  I back up my work every couple of weeks on a network drive.

We didn't have the issue you did with the layer files as everything was in 10 to begin with.  But yes, I should note here that ArcGIS Explorer layer files are not readible by ArcGIS 9.3.1 - it's a bug that hopefully will be fixed, because v.10 layer files can be read by 9.3.1.  The way I got around this (because I had to view them in 9.3.1 in order to do some editing on our server, which is still back in the 9.3.1 stone age) was that I used the "Extract Layer Package" tool in ArcGIS 10, and then copied the resultant output to my 9.3.1 computer and dragged in the layer file.  it worked no problem!

hope this helps somebody with similar problems.

Sarah
0 Kudos
DustinDunnill
Occasional Contributor
Hi Dustin,

Thanks for the reply - it is very timely. 

An SDE server is just an ArcGIS Server.  For more info, see here.  We have our target data stored on an ArcGIS Server, which I edit on, but when I do geoprocessing, I save the results on my C drive as I don't have write access to the server. 

Our GIS IT consultant told me that in terms of speed, it goes like this, from fastest to slowest: 1-ArcGIS Server, 2-local computer, 3-network drive.  I have found that queriying and doing geoprocessing on data on our network drive is significantly slower than doing the same on my local machine, so I opt for that.  I back up my work every couple of weeks on a network drive.

We didn't have the issue you did with the layer files as everything was in 10 to begin with.  But yes, I should note here that ArcGIS Explorer layer files are not readible by ArcGIS 9.3.1 - it's a bug that hopefully will be fixed, because v.10 layer files can be read by 9.3.1.  The way I got around this (because I had to view them in 9.3.1 in order to do some editing on our server, which is still back in the 9.3.1 stone age) was that I used the "Extract Layer Package" tool in ArcGIS 10, and then copied the resultant output to my 9.3.1 computer and dragged in the layer file.  it worked no problem!

hope this helps somebody with similar problems.

Sarah

Ah Yes, I know about the Server lisence.  I don't think we are at the point where we need it quite yet.  Probably eventually when everyone migrates over to using the GIS system here and want to do edit's in the field.

Thanks for sharing.
0 Kudos