What is the best way to upgrade ArcGIS Explorer in a distributed environment?

07-06-2011 09:11 AM
JaniceBaird
Occasional Contributor II
Currently, there are only about 5 people in my organization using ArcGIS Explorer Desktop. We are planning on installing AGX on an additional 15 workstations this month and more in the coming months. We have automated the install process as best as we can and would like to keep AGX current on all of our workstations. I use a batch file to modify registry settings so that the application configuration file I have created gets used. It looks like I will need to create and distribute a new batch file to modify the settings for the new version.

1.  What is the best way to get multiple desktops upgraded without having to visit each one individually?

2.  Will AGX 1700 use the registry setting from 1500 to reference the app config or do I need to modify the registry for each new release of AGX?

3.  Are there any helpful hints I can pass on to my IT-dude so he can use best practices for the install/upgrade process and make it somewhat painless for himself and our users?

Thanks,
Janice.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndreiIvanov
New Contributor III
0 Kudos
JaniceBaird
Occasional Contributor II
Thanks aivanov.
0 Kudos
PeterLindstrom
Occasional Contributor
I've automated the installation and uninstallation of ArcGIS Explorer (AGX) with batch files. We have a page on our organization's SharePoint site with links for our users (at least, those with admin rights) to click. I've packaged up AGX build 1700 with all expansion packs for installation from a thumb drive - see http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=e44b410d610b4cc1a32e6b85416818e8. The batch file looks for existing versions and completes an uninstall before the new installation starts. I'm sure it isn't perfect, but it's served us well.

Since we have multiple AGX maps, we created SharePoint links (which point to batch files, which start up AGX with a certain application configuration) so our users can easily find and bring up the map they want. This has worked pretty smoothly even with multiple AGX versions deployed.
0 Kudos