Does ArcGIS Field Maps apply the antenna height to altitude values in the metadata?

11-01-2023 11:31 AM
AidanWilliams1
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

I am working with some GPS points that were collected in Field Maps using a high-accuracy GPS receiver. I need to know if the antenna height setting gets applied (subtracted from) to the altitude values in the metadata for the GPS points.

This article reports that the latitude and longitude in the metadata are directly from the GPS receiver and do not have datum transformations applied. 

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/field-maps/latest/prepare-maps/high-accuracy-data-collection.htm 

• Latitude—Position received from the GPS receiver before applying data transformations in the location profile
  • Longitude—Position received from the GPS receiver before applying data transformations in the location profile
  • Altitude—Ellipsoidal height received from the GPS receiver (not orthometric height, as used for z-values)

If that is the case for lat/long, wouldn't the altitude values also be directly from the receiver? If the antenna height does get subtracted, then I may have unnecessarily subtracted an additional 2 meters from my GPS points altitude values. 

If anybody knows the answer to this question, I would really appreciate the help! Thank you!!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ColinLawrence
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @AidanWilliams1 , antenna height values entered in the Provider settings are subtracted from the "altitude" value in the metadata (as well as the value shown in the GPS details in the map). An simple way to check this is, with no antenna height added, collect a point and note the altitude value; then go back and change antenna height to a large value (like 100m) and collect another feature. 

Regards,
Colin
0 Kudos