Arabic Support for ArcGIS/Sharepoint

11-03-2010 03:20 AM
ScottTansley
New Contributor II
Hi,

I'm working with a business partner that wants to use ArcGIS Mapping for Sharepoint with Arabic customers, and has raised the following questions:

1) Whether the position of titles and toolbars can be adjusted
2) Whether ArcGIS for SharePoint supports right to left text
3) Whether ArcGIS for SharePoint supports Arabic fonts
4) Whether toolbars, tabs, tooltips, labels, context menus etc can be changed to Arabic text

Can anyone help please?

Thanks,

Scott
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RichZwaap
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Scott:

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by your first question - the "toolbar" is integrated with the SharePoint ribbon and the title is part of the web part.  So the Map Web Part's ribbon tabs will be rendered whereever the SharePoint ribbon is.  You can move the ribbon by editing the aspx page's markup.  The title shown above the web part cannot be moved, but it can be changed or hidden.  Is this what you're asking about?

As to the rest, the answer is basically no.  Version 2.0 of ArcGIS Mapping for SharePoint cannot be localized.  We are planning to make 2.1 localizable, but right-to-left probably will not be supported yet.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Hi Scott:

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by your first question - the "toolbar" is integrated with the SharePoint ribbon and the title is part of the web part.  So the Map Web Part's ribbon tabs will be rendered whereever the SharePoint ribbon is.  You can move the ribbon by editing the aspx page's markup.  The title shown above the web part cannot be moved, but it can be changed or hidden.  Is this what you're asking about?

As to the rest, the answer is basically no.  Version 2.0 of ArcGIS Mapping for SharePoint cannot be localized.  We are planning to make 2.1 localizable, but right-to-left probably will not be supported yet.

Hi Rich,

I've a problem now with the arabic font in ArcGIS 10

While ArcGIS 9.3 can read the domain of a geodatabase written in arabic, ArcGIS 10 can't!!!!!

please, see the attached screenshots

how can i solve this problem?

i need to work with my old geodatabases (that contain domains in arabic) in ArcGIS 10

thank you in advance,

regards

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
CarstenVock
New Contributor
Hello,

does anyone know if something has changed in 2.1.1 if Mapping for SharePoint supports arabic language now or if it is planned?

Thank you!
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Carsten,

... does anyone know if something has changed in 2.1.1 if Mapping for SharePoint supports arabic language now or if it is planned?

Yes, ArcGIS for SharePoint v2.1.1 now supports localization for Arabic.

FYI, What's new in 2.1.1
(look under the Localization section)

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos