Geoevent - symbology restrictions for features

Jump to solution
07-02-2023 04:51 PM
JessicaRouns
New Contributor III

Point features published to a spatiotemporal datastore has really limited symbology options. Cannot edit the feature symbology in GeoEvent to Unique Values (based on a field), the only option is to show feature location information only. 

This isn't too much of a problem for the output feature service as symbology can be set in Portal, however for the map service, once the aggregation turns off and the features turn on it just shows point locations. This is pretty limiting. 

Does anyone know of a way around this, or whether it's in the production plan to increase the scope of feature symbology? @RJSunderman - any thoughts?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @JessicaRouns.  What you describe, I think, is a limitation of the spatiotemporal data store's map service implementation. You are correct that you cannot use GeoEvent Server to edit or specify feature record symbology. Because the GeoEvent Manager web application can be used to publish map and feature services, both when using a spatiotemporal data store as well as a traditional relational geodatabase, it is reasonable to see this something the GeoEvent Server product team could address. But I would suggest that GeoEvent Server's role in this scenario is limited to writing data from processed event records out to feature records using the web service as an interface to the geodatabase.

I will bring this up with developers familiar with the spatiotemporal data store's map service implementation. However, since configuring symbology for feature record display is more part of web service publication and web service specification, not GeoEvent Server, I would suggest you try asking this question on the ArcGIS Enterprise Questions board or perhaps submitting it as an enhancement request to ArcGIS Enterprise Ideas.

You can mention @jill_es, one of the product managers for ArcGIS Enterprise, and she can help direct the conversation to the right team.

Thanks --
RJ

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RJSunderman
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @JessicaRouns.  What you describe, I think, is a limitation of the spatiotemporal data store's map service implementation. You are correct that you cannot use GeoEvent Server to edit or specify feature record symbology. Because the GeoEvent Manager web application can be used to publish map and feature services, both when using a spatiotemporal data store as well as a traditional relational geodatabase, it is reasonable to see this something the GeoEvent Server product team could address. But I would suggest that GeoEvent Server's role in this scenario is limited to writing data from processed event records out to feature records using the web service as an interface to the geodatabase.

I will bring this up with developers familiar with the spatiotemporal data store's map service implementation. However, since configuring symbology for feature record display is more part of web service publication and web service specification, not GeoEvent Server, I would suggest you try asking this question on the ArcGIS Enterprise Questions board or perhaps submitting it as an enhancement request to ArcGIS Enterprise Ideas.

You can mention @jill_es, one of the product managers for ArcGIS Enterprise, and she can help direct the conversation to the right team.

Thanks --
RJ