Real Time Vessel Monitoring in ArcGIS

07-25-2018 10:29 AM
RahulPawar1
New Contributor III

Dear Friends,

Our organization is one of the largest Offshore construction company in the oil and gas industry. We operate our work through various vessels (ships) in different part of the world. For our local office here in Sharjah, we wanted to create a system where we can monitor our vessel movement on continuous basis. With this live monitoring of vessel we want to overlay our GIS database as a background, so that we can know where our vessel is? Means its continues updated position, course of navigation, speed, etc.

We have the subscription of Marine Traffic, which shows the latest position of any ship in there website. But the problem is we cannot load GIS data in the marine traffic. So we are looking for any solution which fulfills our requirement by considering cost saving and efficiency of the system or software or any GIS related tool for vessel live tracking.

Currently we are using ArcGIS 10.3 Desktop.We want to load the live vessel data in ArcGIS, so that we can monitor vessel in our database background. There are many example of such system for live monitoring using ArcGIS platform. As per my knowledge ESRI is having this facility ArcGIS Server – Geoevent Server.

What I want to know from all of you about

• is there any software or system available where we can integrate live vessel track data with ArcGIS?
  • Is it mandatory to have ArcGIS Server to use Geoevent Server for live vessel tracking?
  • Can we integrate the vessel monitoring data (AIS) in ArcGIS Desktop?
  • What about Web Based GIS System for live navigation monitoring?
  • Is it possible to integrate positioning of ships to the GIS in real time?
  • All those vessel has to be showed in real time in a televisions around the office.
  • How API is integrated into GIS.

I come across some examples where this type of vessel tracking using ArcGIS or any other software is in use. Like Eni, Petronas, BP, Shell. These organizations are also using their own developed systems for live monitoring of their vessels or vehicles.

Can anybody kindly suggest me any solutions for my queries regarding above mention information?

A quick and detailed response is really appreciated in advance.

Thanks & Regards,

Rahul Devidas Pawar

Data Processor

SAIPEM,Sharjah, UAE

4 Replies
GuyNoll
Esri Contributor

Hello!  

I recommend you consider ArcGIS for Maritime: Server as the foundation for your application, for example look at the San Francisco Bay area in the demonstration on the Esri Hydrographic Office Portal.  When you open the ENC service on the second page, go to "Add Data" button on the webapp and search for "NSDEMO AIS REST SF Harbour Layer" and add it to the webmap. You will see that it is possible to add AIS to the view, but doing any advanced analytics and geofencing would require ArcGIS GeoEvent Server.  If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to ask!  If you'd like to have a conversation off of Geonet about your goals, please email maritime@esri.com

Cheers,
Guy

GuyNoll
Esri Contributor

At the 2019 International User Conference, business partner Spire.com was showing their integrated #AIS API, which is available through ArcGIS MarketPlace.  For those who do not want to do their create and own their code, or for those who want to accelerate this work, I recommend using this service.

SimonKettle
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Rahul,

This all possible and depends really on the final purpose of the map. If it is as you stated simply to view vessel positions overlain on your own geospatial layers then you can either bring in an AIS feed to view within your GIS an example product is exactAIS Geospatial Web Services, Marine Traffic API Services

Or make your GIS layers available in an OGC format and use them as a base layer in a 3rd party web map like exactEarth ShipView, Marine Traffic Online Services.

To answer your questions:

• is there any software or system available where we can integrate live vessel track data with ArcGIS?

Yes, GeoEvent Processor

• Is it mandatory to have ArcGIS Server to use Geoevent Server for live vessel tracking?

Yes, "ArcGIS Server must be installed and configured on the machine before installing ArcGIS GeoEvent Server." See the Software Requirements.

• Can we integrate the vessel monitoring data (AIS) in ArcGIS Desktop?

Yes, you would connect to ArcGIS Server in ArcGIS Map/Catalog or through the software from Portal in ArcGIS Pro.

• What about Web Based GIS System for live navigation monitoring?

Yes, again you can publish the AIS Layer to a feature layer/web map and view it via Portal. These items can be viewed within Desktop products as well.

• Is it possible to integrate positioning of ships to the GIS in real time?

I think you mean can you plot the actual live position of the vessel into the GIS in real time. Yes, you can that would be the data source. So, check with the data provider/equipment to see what the refresh rate is.

• All those vessel has to be showed in real time in a televisions around the office.

Yes, you could use something like a Surface Pro to display the web map showing live ship positions. This would be impressive!

• How API is integrated into GIS.

I suggest you have a look at this website.

I hope this answers your questions. Feel free to email me on skettle@ggspatial.co.uk or check out www.ggspatial.co.uk 

Cheers,

Simon

GuyNoll
Esri Contributor

An update to this thread - If you are looking for ways to show AIS information in ArcGIS, The Living Atlas has US AIS information in a performant service for last few years here. The explanatory link below is from @KeithVanGraafeiland 's presentation at the NOAA Coastal GeoTools virtual conference.  There are several AIS information providers, including partner Spire who offer content and analytics (Pro add-in) through the ArcGIS MarketPlace.