Adding features in a web map after updating the web layer issue

3 weeks ago
brian_terraformation
New Contributor II

There's a bug in the program.

When publishing a feature layer, it locks whatever you have set up into the Edit -> Create Features in the ArcGIS Online web map.

When I make changes to a list and update the symbology of a feature layer, for example, it will update in the Legend, it will update in the FieldMaps app, etc...  However, if I go back into the web map and try to create a feature, it will only provide the older feature layer template as options to add.  The new list items I created are not available.

The solution I have found is to open the feature layer in ArcGIS Pro (which will have all of the updates), export the data to a feature class with the same name on my computer, then from that feature class, Share -> Overwrite Feature Layer.

Also, and this one is not a big deal, but it would be nice if the Edit -> Create Features template in the web map would match the Legend.  Instead of the Label (displayed value), it displays the Code (stored value).

On a related note, I wish that offline maps for use in FieldMaps would be able to sync changes to lists without having to re-download.

Thank you for considering making these software updates.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

If you update the list so new features are to be added, you will also need to update the template as well.

As you found, making changes in Pro and overwriting is one way, but you could also add the new templates directly using Map Viewer Classic.

You will need to Save Changes to the template, but DO NOT save the map as it can break functionality of the new map viewer.

R_