creating new hosted feature from existing is weird?

2 weeks ago
Labels (1)
JayLarsen
Occasional Contributor II

I have a question about creating a new hosted feature layer from and old one, "cloning" it, essentially via the create item dialog.

It works, it's great, but I don't get exactly why it names things and has a subsidiary item in it that is the old name?

1. I go to "new item" select "feature layer".

2. select "select an existing feature layer"

3. select "old layer"

4. go thru the options, get to the "new item" dialog where you name it and save it.

5. success!

But if you open the "new layer" made from "old layer", it holds a layer item named "old layer" of type "point layer" still?  why? why is the old name kept? what is best practice at this point? I usually rename it to "new layer" to avoid later confusion.

Why does this sub-item exist? Why doesn't it get named appropriately automatically? What is best practice for doing this workflow?

4 Replies
brian_terraformation
New Contributor II

It's indeed weird, and problems run deeper, like if you have lists from the old layer and want to update them.

JayLarsen

Typical.

But I wonder what an ideal workflow would be like?

0 Kudos
brian_terraformation
New Contributor II

What I'm thinking is:

1. open the "old layer" in ArcGIS Pro

2. export it to a feature class on your computer, renaming it to what you want the "new layer" to be called. 

3. Make any other desired changes (lists, symbology, etc...) and delete the "old" records. 

OR 

3a. Better yet, create a geodatabase feature class on your machine and import the fields from the "old layer", so you're just taking in the schema.

4. Publish the "new layer" from ArcGIS Pro.

JayLarsen

We're a SAAS-only client, so no Pro to use.

(I guess maybe we'll get into Pro when they begin the new licensing structure? It sure would solve a lot of problems.)

0 Kudos