Any change to the WorldLocator geocoding service?

09-28-2012 12:24 AM
c_f_ong
New Contributor III
Hello

Has there been any recent change to the following geocoding service?

http://tasks.arcgis.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/WorldLocator/GeocodeServer

It used to give me the correct location based on post code a few days ago. But now, it keeps giving me the same location no matter what post code I input.

Thanks.

Rgds
Ong CF
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MattCrowder
Esri Contributor
Yes, changes have occurred.  Can you please provide an example of what isn't working correctly for you (what you're inputting and what is the expected output) so we can try to identify the problem?

Thanks,

Matt Crowder
ESRI
0 Kudos
c_f_ong
New Contributor III
Hi Matt

I've tried the following examples with the WorldLocator geocoding service:

1. Singapore 640762
2. Singapore 139651

In both cases, the service returns the same location (Score: 100 based on Locality) in Singapore. In fact, the same for any other postal code I input.

The service used to give the correct locations (Score: 100 based on Postal) a few days ago. Is there any way to fix the service for it to behave correctly again?

Thanks.

Rgds
Ong CF
0 Kudos
MattCrowder
Esri Contributor
Thanks for the sample input that doesn't work.  We currently do not have consistent coverage for geocoding by city, zip for the entire world.  As a result, in this case we are just geocoding to Singapore.  We are currently investigating what we can do to add support for city, zip into the next update of the geocoding service.

Thank you for your feedback.

Sincerely,

Matt Crowder
0 Kudos
c_f_ong
New Contributor III
Hi Matt

Thanks for looking into the problem. It was working previously (about 2 weeks ago). Perhaps to revert to previous state before latest changes to the service.

Rgds
Ong CF
0 Kudos