ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online Multidimensional data

10-20-2022 05:03 AM
AlessioDiLorenzo
New Contributor III

Hi, 

I have the ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online extension enabled in my subscription. What I'm trying to do is to create an image collection uploading a bunch of tiff rasters. 
The process always ends in error and after loading all the rasters it fails to produce the image collection. I'm sure something wrong, but what?
Is there another way to use ArcGIS online to host multidimensional Image Services?

11 Replies
rachelm
New Contributor III

What type of images do you have? size? 

I've successfully created an Image Collection from annual tifs but have not been able to define it as multidimensional. It is unclear if the license allows it, or if something needs to be defined in desktop before uploading them. 

0 Kudos
AlessioDi_Lorenzo1
New Contributor III

Hi,

just simple tiffs (15/20 Mb each) representing disease probability areas. Our offline processing model produces two predictions each month and we would like to use the ArcGIS Online Extension to share them as a multidimensional Image Service. 
Now we are doing this with our ArcGIS Image Server on premises, but we bought the license extension for arcgis online to gradually dismiss our own server. 

0 Kudos
rachelm
New Contributor III

does it work if you do a sample on 3-4 tiffs? 

is the intended workflow to to use the arcgis python api to add new images to the image collection? 

0 Kudos
AlessioDiLorenzo
New Contributor III

Hi,

it doesn't work with 2 tiffs either. 

The idea is exactly that: using scheduled python to feed the collection.

We want to replicate on arcgis online what happens now with the arcgis server on premises

0 Kudos
rachelm
New Contributor III

Probably need to wait until the new online option is more developed or supported. I've been publishing mosaics to AGOL and have run in to issues, with no errors or feedback from Pro or AGOL.  Turns out you can't publish a mosaic if your underlying data are FGDB rasters (it simply didnt work for me).  Tiffs worked fine. 

I also need to work with the python api and it's not fully clear exactly what it requires. For example one raster analytics function threw an error that my data (which were tifs), are not in CRF format. In addition there is an  unverified http request error, which I have no control over because it's on esri's cloud. But when I republished my mosaic dataset as CRFs, the mosaic has no data in it all, while in Pro it was fine.  Of course, it's unclear if the python error I received is exactly the issue...

@JeffreySwain @JeffLiedtke or can anyone else at Esri weigh in on this?  Can Esri provide best practices or tips?

0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey @rachelm & @AlessioDiLorenzo , 

Alessio -

So it seems there are a few things going on so let me dive in a little. For the first question about Multidimensional data. When you are creating your multidimensional data, are you following the instructions to make it multidimensional here?

The rough steps are :

1. Create a Mosaic Dataset
  2. Add the input images to MD
  3. Create MD fields to populate in MD
  4. Run Build Multidimensional Info tool. 

This will create the .crf raster ready for your next steps. If created successfully, then you should see the Multidimensional options in ArcGIS Pro when you add it to a map.

That .crf can be added as an imagery layer in ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online. 

Rachel- 

For the Build Multidimensional Transpose tool to work, the required input is a multidimensional input image. It sounds as if the data being input is not multidimensional. The error posted indicates that the .crf is required because that format supports being multidimensional. If you follow the same steps indicated above to create the multidimensional crf before, then your process should work as well. 

Let me know if either of you have any follow up questions. 

Thanks 

rachelm
New Contributor III

Hi @JeffreySwain - for the mosaic built using TIFs, when I call the mutidimensional_info property on the imagery layer, it returns the info (I currently only have time - attached)

I also used the exact same steps to create a mosaic with CRFs (is fine in Pro), and it shows up empty in AGOL.

0 Kudos
AlessioDiLorenzo
New Contributor III

Hi @JeffreySwain and thank you for the reply,

no, I did not follow those steps because the only instructions I found regarding the use of image collection s in arcgis online just said to archive the images in a folder and not to build a multidimensional dataset on the desktop side. I will certainly try to do that, thanks.
This also suggests to me that a possible python procedure will have to work on the offline dataset and then overwrite the resulting crf on the cloud. It's correct?

0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Alessio, 

I am curious about your need of the image collection. The multidim layer in ArcGIS Online created by ArcGIS Image should work fine and allow you to access the information. If you want to see one in action, then I humbly recommend this ArcGIS Learn lesson on coral bleaching, the layer itself is located here if you want to add it to a webmap and see a tiled imagery layer with multi dim info. A dynamic image collection is not necessary to access the underlying data. When you have multi dimensional data in ArcGIS Online through ArcGIS Image, then you should be able to access the slices as you would in ArcGIS Pro. 

In terms of the overwriting, I suppose this will be a 'live' layer with additional updates? Is that the case? 

JeffreySwain_0-1668521517845.png

The multidimensional info can be accessed in map viewer. 

JeffreySwain_1-1668521573184.png

You can select any slice in the multidimensional data. 

Just let me know if you have any questions about the process. .

0 Kudos