ArcGIS Online Buffer Analysis/Search Feature Tool

08-23-2023 01:05 PM
Labels (2)
hrtpolrtp
New Contributor II

I'm currently working on a project to build a map/tool that requires a user to draw in a line segment or drop a point, and they can define the buffer/mile radius, and then export a PDF of the data that spatially joins/spatial analysis within that drawn segment or point. A great example is the FHWA HEPGIS Title VI Tool: https://hepgis.fhwa.dot.gov/fhwagis/buffertool/

I would like something very similar to the FHWA tool, but within ArcGIS Online. I don't have TransCAD, and not looking to purchase that. I have seen the "Search Feature" tool within certain ArcGIS Online apps, but wanted to ask the community to see if I am overlooking something. ArcGIS Dashboards or ArcGIS Experience Builder would be preferred, but will use any ArcGIS Online app to get the interface for users drawing segments, defining a buffer/radius, and then exporting a report. Anyone know of any tools or resources on ArcGIS Online? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

One app you could take a look at is the Public Notification app, one of the Instant Apps. Using it you can create lists of features to export as CSV and PDF. The location to search from can be an address/place or a sketched feature like a point/line/polygon. You can specify your own search distance.

Another to consider, but this didn't quite seem like what you needed, is the Nearby Instant App.

hrtpolrtp
New Contributor II

Thanks, BernSzukalski!

Do you know if you can format the CSV/PDF to look a certain way? Or is it auto-populated?

I saw somewhere I could potentially set up a print service, but only used in the ExB.  The Screening widget (in the Web AppBuilder) seems like I can do the same thing, but have to have a print service.

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski

I'd have to look again, but recall that you can format the output. It was originally (as I recall) intended to generate mailing labels, but I've never used it for that. Rather used it to do things like locate all hospitals or medical facilities within a certain distance of a predicted hurricane track. One of the interesting things about the app is that you are actually doing spatial analysis of sorts, but don't have to be a member of an organization, be a creator, nor do you consume credits.

hrtpolrtp
New Contributor II

Thanks!  I’m going to mess around with the public notification instant app and see if I can format the output.

BernSzukalski

I had a couple of minutes to experiment and remembered something I had forgotten. What you get in the export, whether it is CSV or PDF, is determined by how the pop-up is configured.

Pop-up:

BernSzukalski_0-1692835779695.png

PDF export: 

BernSzukalski_1-1692835805965.png

hrtpolrtp
New Contributor II

Ah!  So, heavy lifting must be done in the pop-up box first.  This is great. Thanks for the quick investigation!

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski

No heavy lifting at all, it's easy. Even if you do not configure your pop-up it seems to work just fine, but you should always think to configure pop-ups.

The unconfigured pop-up

BernSzukalski_0-1692894393050.png

The result in the PDF file:

BernSzukalski_1-1692894413717.png

Again, all of what is in the pop-up can also be exported as a CSV file and from there you have additional print capabilities and options.

0 Kudos