clip map image layer to a shape

Jump to solution
02-11-2019 04:55 PM
StahlyEngineering
New Contributor III

In ArcMap it's possible to clip the extents of a map to a shape defined by a layer.

Is there a way to achieve the same result in a web map?

specifically I'm using pulling a service that has data statewide but I want to only see the data within a specific county.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

I apologize if I'm not understanding correctly, but I believe you can set a filter to be "on by default" in both the web map and the web app. I have a map/app with a data set of over 200,000 parcels, and I applied a filter in the web map so that only around 37,000 of them display when the map/app is opened. This was essential for us so that the layer would actually draw! I didn't notice any lag associated with panning/zooming or searching, so I'm not sure if my situation is different.

The only other option I can think of is to use the Extract Data tool (under "Manage Data") within the Web Map through the Analysis ribbon. But sounds like that might not be ideal for you?

Sorry, I can't be more help, maybe someone else might have a better idea! Best of luck! 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Does the service include a field that specifies the county that it's in? (if not, you could add it?) Then you could just apply a filter to the layer to only display the data for the desired county.

Would that work?

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
StahlyEngineering
New Contributor III

I tried using a filter once I couldn't find a clip function. A filter is a clunky workaround for this purpose that appears to have 3 major drawbacks:

-operations like search take just as long, suggesting the search still goes through the entire dataset and only afterwards applies the filter. I might be wrong here, but with roughly a 100th of the data I'd expect to see noticeable decrease in processing time?

-panning and zooming take a long time because each data refresh due to changing visible extents causes the filter to re-run the logic (most likely?)

-the filter widget does not have an "on by default" option where the filter is activated on loading the map.

I could download a copy of the data and trim it as needed, but the rational for using a 3rd party service is not having to worry about manual updates as the state pushes new data.

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

I apologize if I'm not understanding correctly, but I believe you can set a filter to be "on by default" in both the web map and the web app. I have a map/app with a data set of over 200,000 parcels, and I applied a filter in the web map so that only around 37,000 of them display when the map/app is opened. This was essential for us so that the layer would actually draw! I didn't notice any lag associated with panning/zooming or searching, so I'm not sure if my situation is different.

The only other option I can think of is to use the Extract Data tool (under "Manage Data") within the Web Map through the Analysis ribbon. But sounds like that might not be ideal for you?

Sorry, I can't be more help, maybe someone else might have a better idea! Best of luck! 

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
StahlyEngineering
New Contributor III

Woops, found how to set a layer filter, just had to look in the layer settings within a map. Works as needed.

Thanks!!!

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Glad it worked out for you!

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos