Different results with two web apps created using the same process

05-18-2012 09:01 AM
AndrewZimba
Occasional Contributor
I've created two web apps using the following process:

1.  create shapefiles of content
2.  place the .shp, .shx, .dbf, and .prj components for each individual shapefile into a .zip
3.  add the content to a sub folder in My Content on our organization's AGOL4Org space, this creates a feature service for the individual shapefile
4.  create a web map from a group of feature services as created above
5.  share the web map and create a web app from it using a configurable template
6.  share the web app

So the web map and web app are shared out to Everyone.

One web app can be seen by anybody with a web browser by simply sharing the resource url.

The other web app, when the resource url is entered into a browser, asks the user to sign in with an ArcGIS Online for Organizations account.  AFIK, no different security was applied to the sub-folders or feature services.  Everything was processed into services in the ArcGIS Online cloud and reside there.

How can I determine what is causing these differences?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I'm still getting the hang of ArcGIS Online, so this might be wrong, but could it be that web MAPS are sort of for development only, while web map APPS are the public-facing 'wrapper' for web MAPS?  It seems like there are still some bugs to work out, so it's possible that you've found one.

And, I thought that ArcGIS Online for organizations was still in beta - how were you able to set up an account?  I would love to do it myself.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
The feature services also have to be shared publicly if you don't want people to have to sign in. There is security at every level: layer, web map, and web app.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos