Domains aren't showing up in AGO

07-28-2014 10:09 AM
DaveMenaker
New Contributor

Created a file GDB in 10.0 (so I can't share from Desktop). GDB has one point feature class with a handful of fields and domains. Tested on desktop and worked great. Uploaded to AGO, created a map, and my domains don't show up. What did I do wrong or what am I missing?

0 Kudos
40 Replies
City_of_Edgewater__Fl_GIS_Div_
New Contributor III

We are using Coded Values (Text) with no subtypes

That may be the difference (?)

0 Kudos
RyanRish
New Contributor II

I've tried it with and without subtypes. Same issue of dropped domains.

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

All numeric fields or numeric and text?

0 Kudos
RyanRish
New Contributor II

I have included one text field (without domains assigned, of course) with the rest being numeric fields.

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

you could test using domains with text fields, that is what is working for us

0 Kudos
RyanRish
New Contributor II

Ok, I'm attempting to use domains (coded values) within text fields.

In the domain properties, do I need to match the "field type" with the field to which the domain is assigned?

When I attempt to match these field type settings as "text," I get an error message.

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

It seems this issue still exists. I'm not sure why it works in some cases but not in others. The good news is that I have a reproducible case at 10.4.1. The workaround, as mentioned previously, is to add the layers to a map, then publish that map. The domains come across in this case for me. Thanks for letting us know about this issue.

Mike

0 Kudos
RyanRish
New Contributor II

Thanks, Mike. Can you point me to the instructions for this workaround: publishing a map with the feature class from ArcGIS Desktop to ArcGIS Online? I'm relatively new to this.

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

These two help topics should do it. First you need to sign in to ArcGIS Online from ArcMap. Then you create a map that has the layers you want to publish as a hosted layer. Then choose the File>Share as option...

Signing in to ArcGIS Online in ArcGIS for Desktop applications—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Publish hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS  (Look at the Publish from ArcMap section)

Mike

0 Kudos
RyanRish
New Contributor II

Mike, this is the same process (share as a service).

0 Kudos